Why become a member? ×

300W, 8ohm Bass Monitor Wedge- former project!

I put this together a few months ago as a little project...

The monitor enclosure was given to me by a mate- the original woofer had blown, so I decided to convert it into a bass monitor as an experiment! I (carefully) installed a brand-new 12" Skytronic 300W 8ohm PA speaker and removed the tweeter assembly (the guts will be included in case anyone wants to reconnect it). The speaker is wired directly to the single jack input with quality Rockford Fosgate speaker cable, and I've fitted 4 brand-new rubber feet from Maplin too.

I spent over £70 on the new speaker and parts, so I think £50 is a very fair price for this- no offers please!
Buyer collects from Liverpool city centre, or I can deliver within a 50-mile radius if my diesel costs are covered. Postage can be arranged at additional cost...

Thanks for looking!

[b]EDIT: NOW REDUCED TO £40[/b]

[attachment=12001:DSC00329.JPG]

Edited by Etienne

Guest BassKS

Hey dude,

I would like to use this as a monitor for my drummer as he never hears the bass. Now is there any chance of me putting a volume knob on it so that he can tweak how much he needs rather than the direct output fromthe bass amp which would blow his ears orrff!

[quote name='BassKS' post='267065' date='Aug 21 2008, 02:03 PM']Hey dude,

I would like to use this as a monitor for my drummer as he never hears the bass. Now is there any chance of me putting a volume knob on it so that he can tweak how much he needs rather than the direct output fromthe bass amp which would blow his ears orrff![/quote]

Funny you should mention that mate- I had the exact same idea last night! :)

Yes, it would be possible if you used a heavy-duty volume attenuator, built to deal with the power of the signal coming in from the amp's output- I've seen and used a passive Peavey slave monitor with such a device fitted.

I definitely wouldn't recommend wiring in a normal bass guitar-type volume pot- it would probably get blown to smithereens!

I reckon you'd be able to get the right bits to do the job in Maplin... what do you think?

• 1 month later...