Why become a member? ×

The Abused Precision Bitsa Build

Rumple

I know what you mean about the wide P neck
In my 1st era of bass playing (many years back now!)
I had an early 70's P

It was a nice example of a P bass, but the chunky neck put me off Fenders :o

I love the look & tone of an old Fender
But I much prefer a Jazz profile neck these days
Taking the route of trying & owning several different brands / types of bass
It took me ages to find that the modern C shape Fender necks are the most comfortable for me....

Anyhow, what you've done is some fab work there Rumple
The bass looks great, and if it sounds great too - then bingo!
I'd persist with playing it for a while
You may even find you adapt your playing, or get used to the neck....

If not, at the very least you have created a nice bass, and learned some valuable lessons
... and I'm sure someone who likes P profile necks will want this bass

Great stuff good sir :)

Cheers again
Marc

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1425741014' post='2710242']
in my mind it seems that it's not possible to get the neck straight/flat enough for low action, it's always too concave, I'll check out a few YouTube videos to make sure I'm not being stupid and doing something wrong before getting a professional opinion.
[/quote]

I had the same issues with an old Telecaster/Precision bass I built up. No matter what I did to the truss rod, it rattled at certain points on the neck. I took it to my luthier, who immediately spotted that the truss rod was just not biting. I let it with him and he just lowered frets to get the profile I wanted. The action is now superb.

Edited by GregBass

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1426079584' post='2714116']
I had the same issues with an old Telecaster/Precision bass I built up. No matter what I did to the truss rod, it rattled at certain points on the neck. I took it to my luthier, who immediately spotted that the truss rod was just not biting. I let it with him and he just lowered frets to get the profile I wanted. The action is now superb.
[/quote]

It needs a more qualified person then me to work out what's going on, I'll get the bottom of it on the end :)

Edited by Rumple

I was meant to be out today but it got cancelled at the last minute so with some unexpected time on my hands I decided to have have another look at the neck on this beast, after watching a few YouTube videos about truss rods I now know there is such a thing as a dual action truss rod :blush:

Neck is nice and straight now and the action lovely and loooooow, I've been playing the bass for an hour or so now and it's really great, the neck doesn't suit me and will be replaced with a Jazz Bass neck at some point, which is a real shame as it looks the business.

I couldn't get on with the P bass neck, it looked the nuts but felt wrong to me after decades of Jazz Basses so I've replaced the neck and now it plays like a dream, absolutely loving it! sadly it's not quite as snug a fit as the P neck was so there is a tiny bit of a gap between the heal and the body but hey it's an Abused Precision so it doesn't really matter.

I've taken some of the gloss off but I might take some more off the back of the neck at some point, I'm also considering getting a thumb rest for the G string side and a strap btton for the headstock for purely aesthetic reasons.

Decal?

[attachment=187135:Jazz Neck lr.jpg]

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1427015816' post='2724612']
The scratch-plate sounds good enough to eat!
I have a Fender USA P Pickup with greasebucket tone circuit going spare at the mo, if that's something you could use?
[/quote]

:lol: I used all the yellow things that mark the kitchen worktops, shame they always stay stained where as the scratchplate eventually returns to white!

To be honest I have no idea what a greasebucket tone circuit is :blush:

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1427012362' post='2724567']
It looks really, really good, Rumple :). Great to hear you've found a neck to match it with a good playing feel...makes all the difference!

Andy
[/quote]

So glad to hear you're getting on better with the neck
Was it a simple enough operation to swap over?

I too prefer Jazz profile necks,
or the more modern P necks (very similar IMHO)

As JimBob says, excellent build diary
Thanks for sharing this with us :)

EDIT: Re the gap around the neck pocket,
I wondered about using a thin bead of decorators-type flexible filler?
It won't harm anything, and will just take your eye away from the fact there's a gap there
.... if it offends you

Also, re Decal - if it were me, I'd probably put one on there
- just to get that "look"
up to you of course - maybe a very similar "faker" logo?

Don't forget to let us know what you decide.....

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1427348774' post='2729130']
Excellent diary and project, Rumple. Well done!
[/quote]

Cheers Jim, it was fun to do and by far the best playing/looking bitsa I've managed to do thus far :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1427366682' post='2729343']
So glad to hear you're getting on better with the neck
Was it a simple enough operation to swap over?

I too prefer Jazz profile necks,
or the more modern P necks (very similar IMHO)

EDIT: Re the gap around the neck pocket,
I wondered about using a thin bead of decorators-type flexible filler?
It won't harm anything, and will just take your eye away from the fact there's a gap there
.... if it offends you

Also, re Decal - if it were me, I'd probably put one on there
- just to get that "look"
up to you of course - maybe a very similar "faker" logo?
[/quote]

So far I've managed to live with the slight gap, mostly because it's a rough and ready looking body and I don't think your eye gets drawn to it, thanks for the tip though I may need it in the future.

I'll have a play around with decals and see what I can come up with..... watch this space.

I forgot to answer Marc, it was harder fitting the new neck as it wobbled about in the neck pocket a tad where as the previous one was such a snug fit that it stayed in place even when you turned it over to add the screws and plate.

Re. the gap. Get hold of some wooden veneer (I have mahogany) and cut to shape and glue to the sided of the neck pocket. I've done it a few times on mismatched parts and it works a treat and is easy to cut/shape/sand etc....you can cut it with scissors no problem.

Great build and I would have had that flame neck off you if I was a righty!

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1427481570' post='2731041']
Re. the gap. Get hold of some wooden veneer (I have mahogany) and cut to shape and glue to the sided of the neck pocket. I've done it a few times on mismatched parts and it works a treat and is easy to cut/shape/sand etc....you can cut it with scissors no problem.

D.
[/quote]

Thanks for the Top Tip and the kind words :)

I'm left handed too but playing bass is one of the few thing I do right handed.

Edited by Rumple

I've done a few variations on a theme for a decal, luckily I did two of each as the printer decided today was the day it would start to smudge the black ink, it's probably because the water slide paper is quite shiny compared to the usual inkjet paper.

[attachment=187743:Decal Snap Shot.jpg]

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1427481570' post='2731041']

D.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip deksawyer!
Nice work on the decals rumple :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1427704113' post='2733111']
Nice work on the decals rumple :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1427715672' post='2733294']
Yup - the decals look great...
[/quote]

Slight error in my thinking and a school boy error TBH! decals are clear [u]not[/u] white and you can't print (on an inkjet) in white so what looks like grey with the backing paper in place is actually a light tint of black, when in place on the headstock the centre section of the decal only has the effect of slightly darkening the headstock colour, it actually looks OK but is pretty cheap and cheerful compared to a properly printed decal.

I'll take a snap of it later, I varnished the decal before applying it but haven't varnished over it on the headstock just in case I change my mind and want to replace it.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1427793215' post='2734200']
Slight error in my thinking and a school boy error TBH! decals are clear [u]not[/u] white and you can't print (on an inkjet) in white so what looks like grey with the backing paper in place is actually a light tint of black, when in place on the headstock the centre section of the decal only has the effect of slightly darkening the headstock colour, it actually looks OK but is pretty cheap and cheerful compared to a properly printed decal.

I'll take a snap of it later, I varnished the decal before applying it but haven't varnished over it on the headstock just in case I change my mind and want to replace it.
[/quote]

Hi Rumple

Nowadays, I use these stick on labels rather than waterslide decals:

Now the thing is, I know these are clear (and hence same problem) but [b]I'm almost certain they also do them in white. [/b]

I got these from Staples and am sure I saw also white ones next to them...

This is how the clear ones come out...and MUCH easier than the water slides. They are fully varnishable with the varnishes I use, although I didn't bother on this one:

Worth a try?

Andy

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1427818743' post='2734646']

Worth a try?

Andy
[/quote]

Another top tip from Andy! great idea, although the white ones wouldn't work for me as I'd need some white under the word 'Homage' to get a solid grey or yellow but clear areas everywhere else, plus cutting them out would have to done very carefully, I'll definitely try the clear ones in the future though.

Another plus to your stickers is because you don't use water there's no chance of the ink washing off the surface of the decal as happens if you try soaking water slides unvarnished.

Dave