Why become a member? ×

Question - how thin can a bass body be?

Jabba_the_gut

Hi,

A quick question to the bass builders out there. I have a nice slab of wood that would make a 1 piece body but it is 'only' 36mm thick. Is that an issue? I could add facings to it to make I around 44mm thick but that would hide the current surface which is really nicely grained.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinion / experience.

Cheers

Jez

36mm is fine - just be careful to plan where the controls are going to be, what pots, etc., you plan to use and then make sure in that area there is going to be enough depth for them all to fit. One of mine was too shallow to use the originally intended push-push pots because I carved a bit too deeply in that area...

I'm actually currently working on one that is 25mm...now that really IS a challenge...especially as it's a very soft wood!

Hope this helps
Andy

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1424274701' post='2694636']
I've done one around this thickness as I wanted it to be light ..... just call it 'slimline' :)
You will need shorter neck screws or bolts too.
Ian
[/quote]

Yup - forgot to mention that - make sure the screws aren't too long otherwise you might end up with some extra and touch-sensitive fret markers!

Cheers for all the replies. I kind of thought it would be okay but am surprised how thin some other basses are that are out there!!

I've got a pre -amp and MEC p'ups from a Thumb I was going to use but the push/pull pot is far too deep - will have to keep that for another build.

Thanks again for your input - that's one of the things I like about Basschat!!

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1424292428' post='2694906']
This is probably more complicated than you want but is there any way to split it into two equal thickness sheets and have a core of a different timber?
[/quote]
Hi,

I could possibly split the wood and make the core from a different wood which would look nice - the wood is rippled sycamore and would contrast nicely with many othe woods. At the moment though I`m looking at trying to keep it as a one piece body. This is just due to the grain pattern - the wood is plain sawn and the pattern looks almost book matched even though it is a single piece. The wood was kiln dried and has been in the house for over a year now so should have now stopped moving (I hope!!)

Cheers

Edited by Jabba_the_gut