Why become a member? ×

NAD Mesa Walkabout

TheGreek

I acquired a Mesa Boogie Walkabout in a trade recently and though I love the sound that I'm getting from it just by messing with the controls I'm sure that there is more that this little powerhouse can deliver. I'm really after a fat sound rather than a driven rock sound. Any advice on settings, etc would be much appreciated.

Ah, the amp of kings. :)

There's a sweet spot on the input where it goes fat before it drives. FInd that.

FWIW, there's a lot of conjecture as to what the bass, mid and treble on the heads actually do. There's a lot of in-depth analysis and graphs over on TB.

Generally, for my mid-rich fingerstyle prerefence, I have all three around 2 o'clock, and leave the para flat. If the room is boomy, I'll roll the low para right down to 30Hz and pull it back a few dB to taste.

Some else will post up their completely different but just us useable EQ settings, no doubt.

I had one, loved it and sold it because i also thought it would drive too early. It was hard to get a clean sound from a single 112 with enough volume to hold its own against the drums. If it was today i would try fitting a 5751 valve on the preamp (only about 60% gain) to see if it could be pushed further without getting dirty.

My flat'ish setting was with the mid all the way up and bass and treble at about 11 o'clock. Para EQ pretty much flat except for a cut on the 30hz like WoT described.

i wish i hadn't sold it...

I got one in the scout combo a few weeks back - I love it - the bass sound in my head! :) :D
Sounds good with the ACG preamp in my streamer (not all amps do) so I bet it goes with your ACG nicely TheGreek :)

What cabs does it pair well with? (aswell as TKS ;) ) There's a limit to how much a single 12 can do so wondering what else would pair up nicely with it on the bigger end. 8ohm cabs are out the question.
When I got mine I also tried it in a Ashdown 8x10 and a barefaced 1x15 - for me I missed the tweeter/top end. Ideally I would build something but lack the crossover knowhow :)

I'm using it with a 12" Genz Benz Focus LT and a 12" Vanderkley MNT - though they're the same size speaker they each bring something different to the tone, the Vanderkley having a built in tweeter adds mids/highs. I haven't tried this with my ACG yet as I'm using my Veillette Citron (unlikely that you've heard one of these) currently.

I was using one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Joyo-California-Effects-Pedal-Mesa-Boogie-FREE-PRIORITY-MAIL-SHIPPING-/190618549091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c61c03b63

Not needed now, as the Walkabout adds the tones that I was using this for. I'm also struggling with using my Bassballs Envelope Filter, was using the tiniest amount for "fatness", but the tones are somehow off - I'll need to experiment. What I find does work is a touch of compression.