Why become a member? ×

Gospel Music Magic!!!

bubinga5

Hey people. Has any one listened to Gospel much.. Im not talking about traditional Gospel, but funky stuff. I dont mean to sound arrogant but i have listened to everything from Chaka, to White Zombie, but nothing has touched me musically like this stuff. Its not just the bass playing (which is incredible, slap/finger syle magic) but the whole feeling, rythm, and big band vocals. Now, i have been known to be thinking of what made me, but thats not why i listen to it. Sounds of Blackness got me started on this stuff 10 years ago..

If you like soul funk jazz, you HAVE to listen to this!!!!.. my erm...recommended listen is a choir/band called New Direction..'Send the praise'.../It doesnt get any better than this!!!! Beautiful funky soul gospel, and the bass playing is world class.

[quote name='Duarte' post='263513' date='Aug 16 2008, 10:43 AM']Man,that is one style I really want to learn. I now feel like I'm playing the same stuff after 5 years of bass.[/quote]Learn? I think you probably know the nuts a bolts already, its all in the rythm :)

I now feel like I'm playing the same stuff after 5 years of bass. How do you mean?

Edited by bubinga5

Never been a massive fan of listening to gospel personally, just seems a bit heavy on aesthetics and a bit cliched at the expense of the music to me, its one of those genres that I really enjoy when exposed to it in the first person, but recorded it just doesn't do it for me.

Then again, I've never really been exposed to that much of it and next year I'm playing bass for a gospel choir, so we'll see eh?

[quote name='Oscar South' post='263546' date='Aug 16 2008, 11:56 AM']Never been a massive fan of listening to gospel personally, just seems a bit heavy on aesthetics and a bit cliched at the expense of the music to me, its one of those genres that I really enjoy when exposed to it in the first person, but recorded it just doesn't do it for me.

Then again, I've never really been exposed to that much of it and next year I'm playing bass for a gospel choir, so we'll see eh?[/quote]
just seems a bit heavy on aesthetics and a bit cliched at the expense of the music to me..IMHO. the only thing that matters to these guys is the music!!!.. that and our Lord. :rolleyes:they dont give the music up for nothig..... .Aesthetics dont even come into it. I doubt these musicians think about what they, or the band look like. with respect... i didnt understand the Cliched side of it. But man your playing for a choir.i would love to do that..wether it be uk choir or usa. Gotta push your theory knowledge that..

I enjoy music recorded most of the time. You just have to use your imagination a bit :)

It's the same for me, as many know, I can't get enough of Gospel Musicians, obviously bassists are the main ones I pay attention to but also the drummers are equally as talented and just as entertaining to listen to, as are the organists and singers, there is just so much in the music to take in and appreciate. I'm really not one for the lyrical content (Incidentally, I've just recieved my copy of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins!), but I can appreciate the feeling and atmosphere thats going on and really get a feel for the music. Gospel bassists are also the reason I bought my 535 as well, they just all have a tone which sits so firmly in the mix and demands attention regardless.

White Gospel or Religious music is just horribly tedious in every way and will never come close to black Gospel music anytime soon.

A little vid for inspiration: