Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Super Twin 2 vs Big Twin 2

Iain

Hi,

Been pondering a change in cabs and like the look of both the Big Twin 2 and Super Twin and was wondering how much the smaller Super Twin loses out in top and bottom-end to the bigger unit?

Ultimately I suspect my choice will be forced by if the BT2 fits in my A5s boot or not but wanted to get people's experience on tonal differences?

Mostly playing rock and finding my current kit loses clarity when pushing it a bit.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427577440' post='2731996']
What cabs are you using now and what do you like/dislike about them (other than the clarity when pushed)? If they have tweeters, how do you set them? What strings do you have on your bass(es) and how new/old do you like them best?
[/quote]

I'm running a Markbass 121H and 151P - generally have the horn on the 12 fairly high and the piezo on the 15 off/low.

I've Dingwall brand steel strings on my bass and prefer them brand new. Amp head is Markbass Big Bang, generally doesn't get over half on master with no clipping on input gain, eq run pretty flat as I handle that side in my Avid Eleven Rack.

At lower volumes the sound is perfect from the current rig - for quieter gigs (not my main band!) the 121H is absolutely fine but the bottom end seems to lose it's way in louder situations...

Iain, based on that you definitely need a HF driver or tweeter on your cab - so the two options are a Big Twin 2 or a Super Midget + Super Compact stack. I think the latter could work very well because you'll only need the SM quite a lot of the time and then for the loud stuff the SM+SC pair will be thunderous!

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up borrowing a SuperTwin from Drew @ The Great British Bass Lounge (or GBBL as that's a lot of typing) for a rehearsal and gig and it's got enough top-end to do what I need it to.

What I didn't expect was how much bass this pumps out - played a medium sized pub on Saturday and there were a lot of good comments on how present the bass sounded and felt(!).

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427636725' post='2732512']
Iain, based on that you definitely need a HF driver or tweeter on your cab - so the two options are a Big Twin 2 or a Super Midget + Super Compact stack. I think the latter could work very well because you'll only need the SM quite a lot of the time and then for the loud stuff the SM+SC pair will be thunderous!
[/quote] I expected you'd have said the Big Baby II, but I guess not. As for the SM +SC stack, I'll say it has impressed me :)