Why become a member? ×

Online Lyrics - Never Correct

Norris

Are there any lyric sites out there that actually have the correct lyrics to songs on them? I don't think I've ever found lyrics that have been absolutely right for any song, and quite often it's like someone's jotted down what they vaguely remember after some bloke told them in the pub in the middle of a good drinking session. They may have the right words in the wrong order if you're lucky.

They are always handy as a "starter for ten" for covers you are learning, but you invariably have to go through and correct them.

BTW, the question is rhetorical - I'm not after actual site links, just griping :). I'd never blindly trust any site. They are not actually lyric sites, as they don't have the actual lyrics on them!

A bit like 99% of the videos on Youtube of people playing along to songs - pure showboating, showing off and nothing like the record. The other 1% are people actually playing what was on the record

An example of the 1% would be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QCJAvmJITc

Which I am playing tonight thanks to this guy

Some sites are, obviously, better than others. Much depends on the popularity of the song and how many people want the lyrics.

One of the bands I'm in does some fairly obscure stuff (eg Frankie Miller album tracks from the early 70s) and it doesn't take long to come across songs for which no one has ever posted lyrics.

Ah well, I suppose someone has to go first. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1427582240' post='2732075']
The howler I saw that prompted the post was "I look ill" written as "I could kill"
[/quote]

Yep, I can only assume that some of them are written out by non native English speakers because as I often come across examples where it just doesn't make any sense in places.
Full marks for them trying, but user beware!

Of course the other thing, with older songs different singers change the words anyway. Was recently trying to get definitive words for San Francisco Bay Blues, and came across around 4 slightly different versions. What did I do, I took t what I thought were the best bits form each, thus creating yet another version to add to the confusion.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1427581510' post='2732060']
Even wrong on most album sleeves!
[/quote]

Yes, that really has astonished me. If you've gone to the trouble of writing the lyrics and recording the song, is it really too much trouble to check the sleeve before it goes for publication?

I had exactly this conversation with Bluejay recently, about [i][b]How Deep Is Your Love[/b][/i] by the BeeGees.

The first line is "[i]I've seen your eyes in the morning sun[/i]" which, in the context of what follows, makes sense.

The album sleeve has "[i]And when you rise in the morning sun[/i]" which, again in context, makes no sense whatsoever.