Why become a member? ×

About to buy a new combo for under £400

CliveT

Unless you can talk me out of it I'm about to pull the trigger on a Markbass JB Player School combo because I think it's the best thing out there under £400.
I did think about the Fender Rumble 200 but I think the Markbass is a better quality build, with a good quality head and will stand the test of time.
I also thought about the TC Electronics BG250 but worry that for the price you get the gimmicks of the tone print but what's the basic combo like?
Does anything else come close?

Edited by CliveT

I'm considering a JB Player's to replace my TC BG250 115.
It's plenty loud enough, but I find the low end lacks definition and is a little muddy. However, the sound quality increased massively when I raised the amp off the floor. I'm going to experiment with this a little more before I decide on a new combo. I've never touched the toneprint stuff save for a bit of curiosity when I got it. The music I play doesn't call for any effects. Most users of these amps use the SpectraComp exclusively, but I've never really 'got' compressors.
I'd be interested to know what you think of the JB Player's combo :-)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1427663603' post='2732872']
I have to agree with RhysP... what can you get for £400 used; likely as not a better combo.
[/quote] Warwickhunt and I would tell you the GK RB series combos are pretty awesome

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1427663190' post='2732863']
I'm considering a JB Player's to replace my TC BG250 115.
It's plenty loud enough, but I find the low end lacks definition and is a little muddy. However, the sound quality increased massively when I raised the amp off the floor. I'm going to experiment with this a little more before I decide on a new combo. I've never touched the toneprint stuff save for a bit of curiosity when I got it. The music I play doesn't call for any effects. Most users of these amps use the SpectraComp exclusively, but I've never really 'got' compressors.
I'd be interested to know what you think of the JB Player's combo :-)
[/quote]

I've heard it said that the TC BG combos don't have any bracing or damping in the cab and that taking the speaker out, gluing some 1"x1" batons in and adding wadding makes a noticable difference. However; I tried to remove the speakers from my BG250-208 and found they were stuck down as well as screwed down, so I didn't try and lever them out to check.

I've heard the same about the Fender Rumble combos, too.

I have a Rumble 500 and it feels as sturdy as any other combo I've had. I understand about bracing and lining the cab but I can't see how it would make it sound any better than it already is - I'm very happy with the sound of mine and wouldn't want to alter anything that would make it sound different.

If you price match against some of the European websites you could have a new one for around £410 at the current exchange rates.

I can confirm that there is bracing and damping inside the BG250-115 and I find it plenty loud enough. I certainly wouldn't replace mine with a Player's School – it’s 150w at 8 ohm I believe and 250w at 4 ohm. I’ve tried one and it sounds pretty good but still only good enough really for practice.

There’s a Markbass CMD151P for sale in the marketplace – that’s what I would go for.

I've got the rumble 500 head and a rumble v2 1x12 cabinet. I really only use it for stage monitoring but it sounds great to me and I can always hear myself. The cab is rated at 250w. They do a v3 1x12 now that looks, and may sound, better than the v2. Not sure how much all that would cost.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1427957151' post='2736190']
They do a v3 1x12 now that looks, and may sound, better than the v2. Not sure how much all that would cost.
[/quote]

£226 from [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_rumble_112_cabinet_v3.htm"]Thomann[/url].