Why become a member? ×

Band split, time to stop?

john_the_bass

Hello
My originals band - [url="http://www.myspace.com/27brigade"]www.myspace.com/27brigade[/url] - has finally come to an end. Our second guitarist left some time ago, leaving us as a three piece, I had some "commitment issues" that I posted about on here (see the DI or not to DI thread) and, particularly after our guitarist went, it just didn't really sound right. The songs were very good, but there was something missing and we were getting a bit bored playing in empty venues (even supporting signed bands in empty venues), playing the same songs and generally not making any progress. We decided that we would have a rest until September and so stopped practicing together. With September looming, I spoke to our frontman/singer/guitarist/song writer about what was happening and how we were moving on and he said he'd pretty much decided that with one thing and another, he just didn't want to do it anymore - which was nice! Obviously I am quite pissed off about this, but looking on the positive side, we had a good craic, supported some big bands and got a couple of our songs on the radio and the telly even.
I play the guitar (long before I ever played the bass) and play in a covers band - I don't care what anybody says about covers bands and their opinions of them, it's not for here. So I get to play (which I enjoy very much, guitar or bass) and as a plus people are up for the craic, whether it's in a pub or at a wedding and I get a few quid out of it - but regardless, I still get to play - not having to rehearse with 2 bands a week is a plus, because it does take up a lot of time and it's not just my time that I have to think about, particularly as I'm not far off getting married and being out 2 nights a week, plus gigs, isn't a good idea.

However - I have also been asked to join another band, again playing guitar - another originals band and again, don't care whether it's guitar or bass, I like to play. There is a chance that I might not be playing much bass, if any. My kit doesn't owe me anything, although I could replace it all with guitars and I have a real hankering for a 335 and an SG - and my 'ray, Precision, rig and pedalboard could probably fund that.
So, do I?

[list]
[*]Sell the lot and turn it into guitars?
[*]Keep one because you never know when you're going to need it?
[*]Keep the lot because it doesn't owe me anything and you never know when you're going to need it?
[*]Find another band to play the bass in (not too easy round these parts, especially playing the sort of music I want to play, with the level of commitment I want to put in?
[/list]

So what do you reckon?

Coming from an ex guitarist, I would keep one bass and sell the rest.

However this depends on how attached you are to the basses. In the end, they are tools in my eyes, If you dont have the tools you like to play with guitarwise and wont miss the basses, I would sell the basses and buy the guitars you want.

And if you were ever asked to play bass again, At least you have one left over.

Keep one bass and take some time out from playing bass. If you find yourself yearning to play bass again you won't have to deal with the regret of selling all your bass gear.

Marriage and a couple of bands can co-exist! You just have to remember to spend some of those gig earnings on your missus :)

Cheers all - I think the general concensus is to keep [i]a[/i] bass, the one that gets the most use and I think that Nick knows that would be my P.
I do occassionally get a request to go and dep for a band on the bass, which I usually turn down :huh:, so I suppose I would need to keep hold of my rig as well - and while I'm at it, I might keep hold of the Stingray!! Seriously, yes I think it's probably a good idea to keep a bass - realistically I don't know if I'm going to use it again, but I do have some sentimental attachment to them - rigs have never been much cause of GAS, I wanted to have one I liked the sound of, but it was just a tool (as are my basses I suppose).

I'll keep thinking!

[quote name='Alastair' post='265308' date='Aug 19 2008, 10:57 AM']Ill have the ray :huh:[/quote]

And as for you, you cheeky b@stard! :huh: :)