Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop - new additions to 2015 range

Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428611463' post='2743114']
....grrrr....thanks for the reminder pal, that 55 Relic is insanely good. Glad you're loving it :)

What's the other one?
[/quote]

Yes, the '55 is something else. Other Precision is a Pino. '55 with rounds, Pino with flats, Ampeg B-15 for recording/small gigs, V4-B for bigger gigs. 4001FL for some variety. I find myself curiously content :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1428612021' post='2743132']
Yes, the '55 is something else. Other Precision is a Pino. '55 with rounds, Pino with flats, Ampeg B-15 for recording/small gigs, V4-B for bigger gigs. 4001FL for some variety. I find myself curiously content :)
[/quote]

Aye, not a bad line-up there

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1428612021' post='2743132']

[/quote]

Nice CS combo, different strings and pickups, ash & maple and then an alder & rosewood, ideal really. Wouldn't say no to the other bits of kit either :)

My mate came round with his 64 CS P Bass which is rosewood & alder and his 59 CS P Bass which is ash & maple, such a great combo too, I love the tonal differences and the way they compliment. They are both 2014 models and the dogs bollocks, amazing quality.

Content is a word I've been using a lot recently these days, it's not a bad place too be is it?

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428612764' post='2743146']
Content is a word I've been using a lot recently these days, it's not a bad place too be is it?
[/quote]

Agreed, hope all's well mate, we must have that beer some day, although I've no doubt basses/cash would change hands at the same time!

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1428612893' post='2743152']

Agreed, hope all's well mate, we must have that beer some day, although I've no doubt basses/cash would change hands at the same time!

Chris
[/quote]

I'd love that beer mate. But you're not having my Modulus Flea and I'm not doing time for robbery to get the 55 back :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428601487' post='2742944']
Genuine question, no confrontation intended at all: What would you release for the CS 2016 line if you had control?
[/quote]

At the risk of giving myself GAS...did they ever run mid-60s style "slab" bodies as an option? I see that Slab66 are doing a decent line in Precision clones based on this design.

I'm also surprised that they don't offer a few more adventurous options with pickup configurations - a couple of years ago, I honestly thought the Blacktop series might have been a sign of more exciting things to come. Why not have an option for three single coils, like a Stratocaster? Or a great big mudbucker up against the neck like Mel Schacher's heavily customised Jazz bass? I'm sure they wouldn't sell in the same numbers as US Std Ps and Js, but surely that's the point of the Custom Shop - to produce a smaller number of more unusual instruments!

(OK, I think I've managed to post this without getting bad GAS. Quite fancy a Cadbury's Flake now though, godammit Steve...)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1428580644' post='2742602']
I'm at a loss for what qualifies it as "Postmodern."
[/quote]

I think it means that it looks like a vintage bass, but has an out-of-character modern bridge with no cover

Not keen tbh

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1428664726' post='2743518']

At the risk of giving myself GAS...did they ever run mid-60s style "slab" bodies as an option? I see that Slab66 are doing a decent line in Precision clones based on this design.

I'm also surprised that they don't offer a few more adventurous options with pickup configurations - a couple of years ago, I honestly thought the Blacktop series might have been a sign of more exciting things to come. Why not have an option for three single coils, like a Stratocaster? Or a great big mudbucker up against the neck like Mel Schacher's heavily customised Jazz bass? I'm sure they wouldn't sell in the same numbers as US Std Ps and Js, but surely that's the point of the Custom Shop - to produce a smaller number of more unusual instruments!

(OK, I think I've managed to post this without getting bad GAS. Quite fancy a Cadbury's Flake now though, godammit Steve...)
[/quote]

I've never seen a regular team built slab version, only the master built that Coda ordered and has ended up on the for sale section on this site. Coda reckon it took 3 years to deliver. That would be a cool Ltd Ed, it's a shame they dont appear to be doing the seasonal Ltd Ed's anymore.

The regular P's and J's sell really well and consistently, year after year and pretty much no matter what they put out because it's always a variation of a classic that'll appeal to most people who are obviously buying them. Coda's stock turn around in the last few years has been pretty good, especially considering the price they carry. I guess retailers are cautious of buying in More experimental models that are going to tie up a lot of their cash flow and could hang around longer. I think guitar guitar still have the quite dodgy 2013 Proto Bass, though others like it still sold so who am I to point?!

Your ideas and Discreet's Jazz idea are pretty cool, but no doubt people would find something to moan about those too and they most likely would not sell in high numbers anyway like the the majority of basses CS output each year, give or take the odd one which would be a marmite bass for sure.

Somebody mention P/J with blocks (yes, I know it's not CS).
I know where a black one of these (maple board/blocks/tortie plate) is for sale at a very reasonable price (£465) . The black one is not mine and I'm trying to keep it that way!
[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0469_zps90a75130.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1428668008' post='2743582']

I saw one in GAK over the weekend, along with a tangerine and black over SB.
[/quote]

The version with the TV Jones pickup? Would quite like to try that one.

Those black over SB Ltd Ed's are something special, real room shakers.

Did you play any?

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428668457' post='2743587']
The version with the TV Jones pickup? Would quite like to try that one.

Those black over SB Ltd Ed's are something special, real room shakers.

Did you play any?
[/quote]

Yep, the white one. I had the TV Jones Thunderblade in my old La Cab build. I played the BoSB in Bass Gear last year and it was lovely. I was bust checking out the GK550 Fusion with a US Standard.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1428671832' post='2743638']

Yep, the white one. I had the TV Jones Thunderblade in my old La Cab build. I played the BoSB in Bass Gear last year and it was lovely. I was bust checking out the GK550 Fusion with a US Standard.
[/quote]

I've always liked the TV Jones guitar pickups, yet to try a bass one. Really want to, though it won't be Fender at all really will it?!

The 2013 Proto was a P Body with Tele style neck and 2 x single coil old style P Bass pickups. As bizarre as it was, I liked the idea as those pickups are lovely and Im a Crazy Horse fan so the body and neck match up was cool... but the MoP pickguard didn't do it for me.

Takes a brave man to get a Proto, hats of to those that do though. I can see that TV Jones Proto suiting a fair few players.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1428666876' post='2743556']
I've never seen a regular team built slab version, only the master built that Coda ordered and has ended up on the for sale section on this site. Coda reckon it took 3 years to deliver. That would be a cool Ltd Ed, it's a shame they dont appear to be doing the seasonal Ltd Ed's anymore.

The regular P's and J's sell really well and consistently, year after year and pretty much no matter what they put out because it's always a variation of a classic that'll appeal to most people who are obviously buying them. Coda's stock turn around in the last few years has been pretty good, especially considering the price they carry. I guess retailers are cautious of buying in More experimental models that are going to tie up a lot of their cash flow and could hang around longer. I think guitar guitar still have the quite dodgy 2013 Proto Bass, though others like it still sold so who am I to point?!

Your ideas and Discreet's Jazz idea are pretty cool, but no doubt people would find something to moan about those too and they most likely would not sell in high numbers anyway like the the majority of basses CS output each year, give or take the odd one which would be a marmite bass for sure.
[/quote]

I had to look up the Proto, but I'll freely admit I quite like the look of it! But then I quite like the '50s body shape. I didn't think it was that radical a departure, but I guess some Fender fans can be incredibly conservative!

Raises an interesting point, though - do you have any idea how well the Blacktops sold? I was tempted by the P myself (though ended up buying a Schecter instead) but they didn't seem to catch on (I only know one person who owns one). Were they just too radical for the Fender fans? And by extension, is it the fans' fault that Fender are so cautious with new designs?

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1428674777' post='2743685']

I had to look up the Proto, but I'll freely admit I quite like the look of it! But then I quite like the '50s body shape. I didn't think it was that radical a departure, but I guess some Fender fans can be incredibly conservative!

Raises an interesting point, though - do you have any idea how well the Blacktops sold? I was tempted by the P myself (though ended up buying a Schecter instead) but they didn't seem to catch on (I only know one person who owns one). Were they just too radical for the Fender fans? And by extension, is it the fans' fault that Fender are so cautious with new designs?
[/quote]

Yeah, that 2014 Proto is cool in my eyes too think it got rinsed on BC when it came out (of course), it was the 2013 one I was thinking of, it's a little more risky shall we say.

I don't know about the blacktop to be honest, I've been out of MI retail for donkeys years now so may be out of touch? I can only talk from my past experience, of selling Fenders and working for Fender selling to shops, that mostly people went in for the classics more than anything else, and the more variations of classics that were available the more people could get something 'personal', even if that was choosing a sunburst maple 50's Precision over a metallic blue modern one. Bad analogy, but how many times can you reinvent the P Bass, so they do slightly different variants like the Post Modern, and some people will love them. Something 'different' like the Blacktops or FSR's sold either well relative to the numbers out there, or simply eventually if they were risky ones.

As this thread shows (and I'll freely admit as a 'fan'), Fender isn't perfect, there's a lot of bitching out there. Could Fender ever be perfect or suit everyone? Of course not. So the constant and boringly repetitive and very obvious bitching is pointless and negative isn't it as you can't please all the people all the time eh?

The Fender range is so big right now that I'm not surprised you only know one person who has a Blacktop. I quite like that alternatives to the classics are out there, and get refreshed every few years in an attempt to please the people who don't see what they want.....perhaps?