Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Memphis P Bass £50 - SOLD
£50

Shonks

I read somewhere that Memphis was a sub company any of Yamaha.
Possibly 80's maybe Japanese, its got the classic Fender shape headstock.

Its been a bit neglected and has wounds all over the body, but they are not structural.
The bass is sound, the truss rod works ok the neck is not 'wounded' like the body.

The machine heads work really well, there's no play in them and keep in tune dutifully.

Its a good starter bass or a good project for renovation.
Sounds pretty beefy and not bad to play.

Trade for a Boss RC-3

Edited by Shonks

Memphis was a brand owned by US importer/distributor C. Bruno & Sons - never sold in the UK so it's anyone's guess how this made it to Essex!

This is actually pretty interesting to a geek like me - Satellite-branded through-neck versions are pretty common (I owned one) but I've never seen a bolt-neck before.

The Satellites appeared around 1980 and were MIK (nothing to do with Matsumoku or any other Japanese factory) but I do think it's highly likely this is from the same factory as those, possibly Samick.

Very cool old bass though, and definitely worth £50!

Jon.

Neck is 'Precision' -ish the truss seems responsive, there's is bit of a buzz round the 5th fret if strung too low, but I think it can all be sorted with bit of patience and know how. That's a brass nut on it too by the way.
I think for £50 I'm being a bit generous but I don't want to get busy with it right now so grab your chance.
Re posting it: I don't mind if your paying the courier and you accept it as a 'sold as seen'.
There's no case or bag with it, so it might mean a lot of bubble wrap, so I might ask for an extra fiver for packing it.

Thanks for all the comments and observations about this, all very interesting.

Re the remark about "how it got to Essex" I recently bought it from a guy in Suffolk, so it's more, 'how did it get to Suffolk' cos I brought to Essex..😼

Edited by Shonks