Why become a member? ×

For those Of Us Who have To Audition, Do You Ask The Right Questions?

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430357680' post='2760660']

if you pick someone that is in another band it will cause and there will be scheduling conflicts. And scheduling conflicts means one of the bands is going to lose $$$. All bands do not have the resources to bring in a sub.

Also, when auditioning or getting an offer to join I would want to know if any other members were in other working bands. If there were, that would probably be a deal breaker for me.

[/quote]
It's just a situation that you have to manage if you want to attract the right players.

I am currently in 3 bands (2 of which don't gig that regularly). There has not been any major problems with this until the coming weekend when I was double booked and can't do a blues gig at a festival in Scotland. We had a dep sorted out and unfortunately he managed to injure his hand and can't do the gig, hence a load of scrabbling around until they could find a guy playing at the same festival who is happy to put in a double shift!

The guitarist in that band (who is a top player and makes the band) is also in 3 bands and likewise they book gigs around his diary and when he can get reps for his other bands. Generally there are no insurmountable problems, but occasionally something out of the blue can happen. Let's face it, if I was doing the gig and got injured I would have to pull out at the last moment, just like the dep.

Deps are a fact fo life, IMO and good players are invaribly busy so sometimes it can be a case
of if you want that player, you have to accept he'll have other commitments and if they are full
time, more important payers or 'clients'.

I auditioned for a band recently - an established one- and in our pre audition chat I asked what they were looking for in a new member. The wanted someone who could play solidly, not the greatest layer ever but who could adapt to the tune. I also asked about stage craft. Did they have certain things they liked to do on certain tunes, did they dress a certain way gigs or particular venues?

If you ask these questions early on in the process they can be fine tuned in person. A wedding band might well dress smart for their gigs, a rock covers band could be a jeans and tee shirt gig. Ask as many questions at the application stage so once the audition comes your prepared.

I'd a drummer show up to an audition late and after the inevitable phone calls to find out where he was and give directions he got out of his car and said "I shouldn't really apologise for being late its a hard place to find!" My response was "It's my first time at this rehearsal room too and I made it on time. You have 15 minutes left of your slot before the next person gets here. Still wanna play or would you like to leave?" He played one song with us and then I sent him packing. Tardy is not an attractive quality!

I would turn up wearing something appropriate for the band.

If the band was playing mainly rock/pop covers then I would wear smart jeans and a clean shirt or possible a plain t-shirt and shoes.

If it was an originals band I would have to look carefully at their photoshoots and their gigs and wear something similar.

If it was a functions band that always wore suits I would wear suit trousers and an open-neck shirt.

However - if in doubt why not ask the band what to wear?

If I was in a band an we were auditioning a new member, I wouldn't think any less of an audition candidate for asking what would be appropriate. In many respects I would look on him/her more favorably as they are clearly keen to get things right first time and not afraid to ask if they need something.

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1430378786' post='2760719']

It's just a situation that you have to manage if you want to attract the right players.

I am currently in 3 bands (2 of which don't gig that regularly). There has not been any major problems with this until the coming weekend when I was double booked and can't do a blues gig at a festival in Scotland. We had a dep sorted out and unfortunately he managed to injure his hand and can't do the gig, hence a load of scrabbling around until they could find a guy playing at the same festival who is happy to put in a double shift!

The guitarist in that band (who is a top player and makes the band) is also in 3 bands and likewise they book gigs around his diary and when he can get reps for his other bands. Generally there are no insurmountable problems, but occasionally something out of the blue can happen. Let's face it, if I was doing the gig and got injured I would have to pull out at the last moment, just like the dep.
[/quote]

Got it. However my example or scenario is when someone is in 2 bands both gigging 4-6 times a month. I have seen this and with most gigs occurring on Friday & Saturday night it's very problematic.

Blue

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1430380897' post='2760745']
I auditioned for a band recently - an established one- and in our pre audition chat I asked what they were looking for in a new member. The wanted someone who could play solidly, not the greatest layer ever but who could adapt to the tune. I also asked about stage craft. Did they have certain things they liked to do on certain tunes, did they dress a certain way gigs or particular venues?

If you ask these questions early on in the process they can be fine tuned in person. A wedding band might well dress smart for their gigs, a rock covers band could be a jeans and tee shirt gig. Ask as many questions at the application stage so once the audition comes your prepared.

I'd a drummer show up to an audition late and after the inevitable phone calls to find out where he was and give directions he got out of his car and said "I shouldn't really apologise for being late its a hard place to find!" My response was "It's my first time at this rehearsal room too and I made it on time. You have 15 minutes left of your slot before the next person gets here. Still wanna play or would you like to leave?" He played one song with us and then I sent him packing. Tardy is not an attractive quality!
[/quote]

Yes, and if you know your poor with directions,your GPS is unreliable and your unfamiliar with area the audition is, it might be a good idea to drive there the day before the audition.

For me with 2 large GK cabs, wireless and full pedal board I always allow for 15-20 minutes to set up.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430379902' post='2760737']
Deps are a fact fo life, IMO and good players are invaribly busy so sometimes it can be a case
of if you want that player, you have to accept he'll have other commitments and if they are full
time, more important payers or 'clients'.
[/quote]

Then I would say if the band is gigging 4-6 times a month I'd pass on that higher caliber player and go with someone that can committ to the bands schedule.

Were dealing with a few bookings where we need a sub. I don't like it and it's a big pain in the arse. But that's just me.😀

Blue

A little off topic;

I think, well my opinion is that many bands really don't know how to judge or audition a bass player. I don't think guitarist think the way we do. I think our opinions on tone and presentation are quite different than a guitarist. I'm not even sure they're listening half the time.

I like to provide an accurate execution of bass lines with a deep foundation for the band to build on with just the right combination of high and low end. That's not necessarily anything an auditioning band cares about or understand.

Blue

Edited by blue

I don't think they do.... but that is fine, you just have to take control there.
Not only the gtrs, tho...I generally think most band members don't hear the
big band picture...

And bass players don't always help, in that they pick a sound the love and they can play to
and don't get the overall band sound. The numbers of times, I've thought good sound
and food playing, but wrong in context of the band or song.
Case in point... I've heard Ibanez basses recently, and thought nice playing and nice sound, but
just plain wrong when you are listening to the band as a whole... Too much mid and not enough
of a sound to carry the whole band...
Not an exclusive observation about those basses, ...and probably not the basses fault, and is down to the
bass player himself

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430851388' post='2765257']
I don't think they do.... but that is fine, you just have to take control there.
Not only the gtrs, tho...I generally think most band members don't hear the
big band picture...

And bass players don't always help, in that they pick a sound the love and they can play to
and don't get the overall band sound. The numbers of times, I've thought good sound
and food playing, but wrong in context of the band or song.
Case in point... I've heard Ibanez basses recently, and thought nice playing and nice sound, but
just plain wrong when you are listening to the band as a whole... Too much mid and not enough
of a sound to carry the whole band...
Not an exclusive observation about those basses, ...and probably not the basses fault, and is down to the
bass player himself
[/quote]

Agreed, I think we have to pay more attention to tone in context of the song and performance of the band. And for cover bands that are covering songs with a lot of production values in the recording you really have to know and understand processing.

For certain bands, jazz and blues maybe a straight Fender P/SVT sound is just fine.

Blue

Edited by blue

What questions do you ask a band before committing yourself to an audition?

I have a few, for cover bands I always ask what their definition of [i]"established band"[/i] is. It's a phrase many bands use in ads and it can mean just about anything. It could be as far off as, the guy that posted the ad has an [i]"established" [/i]concept for a band.

Blue

Can you send me your setlist?

Do you have a demo mp3 or video, or are you playing a gig with your current bassist/dep so I can come see you?

How often do you practice and when? When would you expect to be playing the first gig with me?

If the band doesn't have a setlist that gives you an idea of what stage they're at. A good setlist also give you a pretty good idea of whether they're in demand for gigs. It will be rare that the actual tunes they play are important to me in terms of whether they're the type of music I listen to.

If they practice every week you could be looking at a hobby band who are not particularly interested in gigs.

If they want me gig ready for a booked gig in two weeks then they're the band for me.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1430984377' post='2766469']
If they practice every week you could be looking at a hobby band who are not particularly interested in gigs.

If they want me gig ready for a booked gig in two weeks then they're the band for me.
[/quote]

^^^ This!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1430984377' post='2766469']
Can you send me your setlist?

Do you have a demo mp3 or video, or are you playing a gig with your current bassist/dep so I can come see you?

How often do you practice and when? When would you expect to be playing the first gig with me?

If the band doesn't have a setlist that gives you an idea of what stage they're at. A good setlist also give you a pretty good idea of whether they're in demand for gigs. It will be rare that the actual tunes they play are important to me in terms of whether they're the type of music I listen to.

[/quote]

All good questions, however a set list would not be that important to me. For me it would be a paid gig schedule showing all past and future bookings. I key in on opportunities where there is a history of 2 & 3 gig weekends.

Blue

Edited by blue

I agree, Unless it an originals band with young guys with dreams of [i]"making it" [/i]weekly rehearsals with little to no gigs is a [i]"red flag"[/i] for a band that has no real interest in gigging.

Blue