Why become a member? ×

Resources

TheGreek

I was just looking at the Bassline Publishing website and noticed some great ersources which weren't available when I first started playing.

https://www.basslinepublishing.com/

Obviously Stuart is a great resource, Scott Devine's website too and I love finding stuff on YT. I really should make more use of the Theory section here though.

What other resources do you use??

This is not the same type of resource, but I find it very useful anyway: backing tracks.

I loved backing tracks from my bedroom guitarist days, much better than playing by yourself... but they also make learning songs much more fun, at least for me. If I need (or want) to learn a specific song, I listen to it and figure out the bassline and practice it playing along to the original. From time to time I had access to a backing track that did not have my instrument (guitar or bass), and that makes it more fun to practice.

Over the years I ended up buying quite a few "Play with..." tab books, purely for the backing tracks.

I have recently found a website that is a pretty good source of reasonable sound-alike backing tracks:

[url="http://www.karaoke-version.com"]http://www.karaoke-version.com[/url]

The cool thing is that you select a song, and you can choose your mix changing a couple of basic parameters: you can alter levels of instruments, and you can mute them. You can then download the result (it's not free, however, it's £1.99 a pop). The thing is also that once you bought a track, you can continue to download alternative mixes. This means you can get a mix without guitars, a mix without bass, without drums, vocals... etc, to suit whatever you want to play. In addition, you could listen to just the bass alone, or just the guitar alone, when trying to figure out something that's not so clear in the full track.
Of course, learning a bassline from here means you learn the bassline another guy played, not the original... They are generally pretty good, but I've noticed a couple of occasions where I disagree. Still sounds good, and it works as a backing track regardless.

I found it when I rediscovered my fretless Precision and The Police, and bought a "Play with" book+CD that did not have "So Lonely" in it. Their version was pretty good. It's not Sting singing, but does a good impression!

Disclaimer: that site has nothing to do with me!!! I'm just a happy user.