Why become a member? ×

Jim Fleeting 9 string bass

I'd expect that this would be very nice to play. But, IMHO it isn't the most beautiful 9 string bass ever. Maybe I'm being fussy, but if I had something this up-market, I'd prefer that it looked better than this. Entirely subjective opinion.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-String-Bass-Guitar-/231548135418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e95827fa

I'll just make the obligatory 'ironing board' comment before anyone else does.
Don't see how you could make this look much better, really... and that's my subjective opinion. ;)

Just out of interest, how does one play one of these? Like a zither, or a lyre or something?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430510455' post='2762259']
I'll just make the obligatory 'ironing board' comment before anyone else does.
Don't see how you could make this look much better, really... and that's my subjective opinion. ;)

Just out of interest, how does one play one of these? Like a zither, or a lyre or something?
[/quote]

I find my seven string easy enough to play. I'd like to try a 9 string someday. I think that would be all the range I'd ever need.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1430511277' post='2762269']
I find my seven string easy enough to play. I'd like to try a 9 string someday. I think that would be all the range I'd ever need.
[/quote]

What IS the range on this? Presumably one of the strings equates to the Low 'E' on a 4-string?

I think that many of these have a low F#, or go even lower. I feel no need to have a string lower than B, so would string it B E A D G C F Bb Eb if I owned it. That would cover the full range of bass up to an including 'guitar' range as well. (Given that most guitars don't have 24 frets).

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1430520500' post='2762365']
That was one of Jim's early ones and from the location of the seller, a very ex member of this forum. I think they are having a laugh on the pricing mind....!
[/quote]

The seller says that he is open to offers. But, since he hasn't put it on eBay over and over again like a certain other extended range bass, I won't be offering him £26.27

My interest in 9-string basses is ... erm ... fleeting.

ps: Ambient, any chance you could add some more stuff to your sig? It doesn't entirely fill the screen yet. :yarr:

Edited by Happy Jack