Why become a member? ×

SOLD Danelectro DC in gold sparkle £250
£250

Paul S

Danelectro DC bass in gold sparkle. Or silver sparkle. Certainly metallic sparkle - it changes colour according to the light. OK, a black paint finish in which are embedded metallic flakes which are of a non-specified precious metal colour. However you describe the colour, 'outrageously camp' pretty much fits the bill overall. Something that resembles masking tape binds the edge.

34" longscale 20 fret neck that is (surprisingly) 41mm at the nut. 7lbs on my luggage scales - these are made from a solid wood core then covered in something called Masonite, which is essentially hardboard. 2 lipstick pickups, each with stacked volume/tone knobs. Front pickup gives a thumpy resonant old school sound, especially with the tone rolled off 90%. Blend in a bit of the bridge pickup and things start to get interesting - both on full you get a passable Jazz bass tone, roll it back and you get what I suppose you'd call the Danelectro tone, although with a different quality to a Longhorn. Cutest little tuning pegs with vintage styling - possibly not the most accurate on the market but they work. Bridge is rather elementary, with little scope for adjustment, but it is by no means unusable.

If you want retro looks, retro vibe and retro tones, this has all those and more.

I have no idea when this was made although I believe it to be a slightly earlier Korean reissue model rather than a recent Chinese one. It is in good nick - couple of very small dinks in the pickguard, couple of small dinks in the headstock - paint finish is good.

Selling as there is room in my life for just one Danelectro and the Longorn won a place in my heart.

Asking a reasonable £250 for this collected from SS7, meet half-way or deliver for fuel costs within reasonable radius. No case but loads of packaging - fully insured next day courier to mainland UK would be £22.

[attachment=191071:dc1.jpg] [attachment=191072:dc2.jpg] [attachment=191073:dc3.jpg] [attachment=191074:dc4.jpg] [attachment=191075:dc5.jpg] [attachment=191076:dc6.jpg]

Edited by Paul S

Pleased to see some interest in this bass - all PMs replied to :)

Some additional information.

The action is set up ok for me as I never have my basses set very low - I tend to dig in hard with a pick. Sticking a ruler up against the neck it looks like E string is around 4mm at the 12th fret, G string looks like 2.5mm or so. That is probably one of the big draw backs of these Danos - the bridges are pretty rudimentary and, more importantly, flat! You can't give a uniform height over the radius. If I had the E much lower it would start to buzz a bit on the A and D when I dig in. You might be able to get it a tad lower but not absolutely flat.

I would rather not post this overseas - there is no hard case and I am very wary of trusting a bass made of hardboard to the hands of a courier for anything longer than 24hrs.

Price is firm. These usually change hands for a good deal more than this - I paid a good price as it had a few minor issues when i bought it - all now sorted - so I am passing on that good price.