Why become a member? ×

Ampeg cab query ?

dmccombe7

I've bought myself a 2nd hand USA Ampeg SVT4 Pro that i've had professionally modified from 110V to 230V and would like to go the full hog and sell my 2off Bergantino AE112 cabs for an Ampeg cab.

Originally looking at SVT4x10 HLF
Since heard that the Heritage 4X10HLF has a deeper more rounded overall sound than the SVT classic.
Anyone got any hands experience of both cabs and what the difference is.

Dave

I`ve not used the HLF cab, but did have a 410HE & 210HE, and have used many SVT810s. These all gave out that classic, middy Ampeg tone that sits in the mix so well, whereas I have read that the HLF is much lower, with less definition and sits somewhat under the mix.

what lozz says,

there is a sound that ampeg cabs have for me its a mid heavy sound, however after playing thru both the 810 and 610 hlf cabs they both have very different quality's, the 810 is alot tighter and more punchy to my ears, but the 610 has a awesome thump in the lows due to being ported instead of sealed like the 810.

for me it was a bit much as i like to use octaves, and alot of gain which made this easily go a bit muddy where as with the more mid focused 810 it was alot easier to control the bottom end, which is why i now use an 810, all be it an ashdown (which can i add is very nice)

def worth checking out the cabs yourself before dropping alot of cash on a heritage cab.

andy

i've played a Warwick solid state amp into the classic SVT 4x10 HLF and it had a fantastic low mid sound. Trying to avoid going the 8x10 route - just a bit too big and heavy.
Looked at the 4x10 HE cab but reviews state its more top end and lacks depth without the 15" to back it up.

I believe the difference in both HLF cabs is that the Heritage has Eminence drivers rather than normal Ampeg speakers altho not sure how much of a difference that would make in the exact same cab.

The studios i use have Ashdown 8x10 and 6x10 depending on room so will try Ampeg with one of them. I'm not a big fan of Ashdown tho as i find they lack something altho not sure what it is but it might be the amp that's the issue rather than the cab.
The band i'm in is a Prog band in vein of Anathema, Steve Wilson type of sound with a hint of Floyd in bits.

I'm finding my AE112 cabs just not giving me what i'm looking for.
I've heard same amp with classic 4x10 HLF but guy was using a Thunderbird which had loads of depth which makes it hard to judge against my Jazz bass.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1430738358' post='2764110'] I`ve not used the HLF cab, but did have a 410HE & 210HE, and have used many SVT810s. These all gave out that classic, middy Ampeg tone that sits in the mix so well, whereas I have read that the HLF is much lower, with less definition and sits somewhat under the mix. [/quote]

Thanks Lozz - were you using your Precision with that rig which tends to have a bit more low end compared to Jazz.
Dave

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1430768970' post='2764455'] i find the HLF extremely deep, its a sound I like but to cut through the mix on stage I have to eq the mids right up and roll the bottom off, it still sounds huge though, can't fart it out even with a 300W tube head! [/quote]

That's kind of what i was looking for. I'm looking for that typical deep lw-mid sound. You are using the all tube Ampeg and that'll give you a bit more low end warmth compared to the SVT4 Pro. I see you also use a Jazz so the comparison is good to my own set up.

I have my Berg HT322 to try first before i do anything. I've only used my AE112 cabs so far.Lack something but not sure exactly what it is. It might just be character that the 12's seem to lack compared with the Ampeg 10's Could just be the speaker size that's causing the issue.

Dave