Why become a member? ×

Aguilar sl 112

Luke86

Hi all. I recently borrowed 2x aguilar sl 112 cabs with the tone hammer 500 head as I'm thinking buying this same rig for myself. One big problem I found was I couldn't get these cabs to stop farting. I wasn't driving them very hard and I'm not a particularly aggressive player either. The actual tone was very nice but whenever I gave my bass just a little bit of welly, the sound would distort and I would lose punch. I've never had this problem with any amps in the past and couldn't belive it was doing this considering how much they cost and I've read lots of good reviews with no mention of this problem. Just wondering if anyone out there has had this same problem.

The Tonehammer is an easy amp to break up, behaves very much like a valve amp, hit it hard and you get nice breakup. Is the amp already yours or did you borrow that as well? I ask as from there, what eq settings were you using, specifically with the gain and drive. To get a clean sound I`ve read you need to have both set off - yes strangely the TH500 works with the gain in the fully off position. Never done this with my TH500 mind, as I need that break-up in my sound.

250/8 for botjh amp and cab...and you aren't going to be hitting those levels, I'd have thought.
The TH500 does break up quickly tho... which is what some people like.
If it was the cab, I'd be concerned.
I'd had very hard driven sounds out of a 210 before...and I think it was the amp doing that..

I know a pro player who uses this set up in a pretty heavy rock band without any problems.

The gain and drive controls are interactive so if you have both wound up high then you could be introducing distortion right at the front end of the pre-amp.

Have a read of this thread maybe... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257641-aguilar-th500-distortion-issues/"]http://basschat.co.u...tortion-issues/[/url]. Based on my experiences (and input from others) I'd say it's more likely that it is the amp that is causing the "farting" (i.e. distortion) than the cabs.

Edited by Conan

Is your an active bass?

Years ago I used my Trace BL-80 for the first time in ages. I'd noticed the tweeter had a couple of cracks in it, and the sound was horrid - obviously coming from the broken tweeter. Spent a lot of time reparing the damage, and the problem didn't go away. Tried a different amp, problem still there.

Then remembered to change the batteries in my bass. Problem solved. Face reddened.