Why become a member? ×

LEDs

AndyBob09

I play a lot of gigs in dark orchestra pits and dark stages. Often, I find it difficult to glance at my fretboard and see the fret markers. I was thinking about getting LEDs fitted to the top of the fretboard. Is this possible? Does anyone have this? Or have this problem and have another solution? I've seen the LEDs on the front of the fretboard but never over the top. Also, does anyone know where I could get this done in Scotland?

There's a company which makes stick-on LED strips which fix to the top edge of the fretboard. Aha, this is the one: [url="https://fretfx.com/"]https://fretfx.com/[/url]

As Si600 says, there are stick-on fret markers which can be charged up with a UV torch. I had some and they worked but gradually fell off. Can't remember where I got them.

You can also get the fret markers replaced by Luminlay dots. These are also glow-in-the-dark, charged up with a UV torch (for UV torches, look on That Ebay for "3 in 1 torch").

If you're feeling flush, there's Sims LEDs - [url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/00leds.htm"]http://www.simscustom.com/html/00leds.htm[/url]

You can replace the side dot markers with the "Luminlay" (google it) ones. They'll look just like normal whiteish markers in normal light, but they'll fluoresce in the dark. You can charge them with a UV torch simply by a quick sweep along them. The strong fluorescence dies down in a few minutes but the residual glow is long lasting and very visible in the dark. In addition, if your stage/pit has UV lighting... the markers will glow strongly all the time. Pretty easy and cheap to fit.

I use something like these, cut them to shape and cover with lacquer to stop catching them with your thumb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luminescent-Glow-in-the-Dark-Vinyl-Light-Switch-Stickers-16-Pack-/131304609549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e925d570d

I've ordered the stuff to fit luminlay's in a couple of my basses. Just got to find a decent tech/luthier in Bristol to fit them. I don't fancy taking a drill to my Warwick so I think I'll get the first 2 basses done by someone more competent, then if I like them I'll order some more and practice on an old OLP neck I've got here before doing the rest of my basses.

Anyone have any recommendations for a luthier in or near Bristol that could do this? I've used Eltham at Edge Guitar Services quite a lot but not sure if this is his sort of thing. Ideally would like to use someone who has already fitted some.

I assume that you have lights fitted to the music stand when you're in the pit?

I'd get another one of those to angle more towards the bass. Then you can see the whole thing rather than a bunch of disjointed lights bobbing around in the dark.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1431251919' post='2769137']
To the original poster, I'm sure Chris McIntyre in Edinburgh fitted the Luminlay dots to a friend of mine's bass.
[/quote]

I didn't realise the OP was in Scotland!
Mine were fitted by Rory Dowling, of Taran guitars (a one man acoustic guitar building operation), in Fife. Beautiful job. He used to be based in Edinburgh (at the workshop Chris McIntyre is now, in fact!) and he is now near Pittenweem in larger premises. Beautiful area, good excuse to visit and have fish and chips in Anstruther ;)

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1431377679' post='2770764']
I didn't know Rory did bass work. I only stay 10 minutes away but have never visited his workshop for fear of walking out with one of his acoustic guitars.
[/quote]

Ha! Small world! :)

When he was based in Edinburgh, just starting his business, he advertised he'd do setups etc, possibly as he could use the extra work in the beginning. I went to him with one of my basses... and continued seeing him afterwards everytime I needed something, from expanding a control cavity to install a preamp, to a fretless conversion (he's done two for me).
He loves showing his work, and it's beautiful. I keep talking to him about branching into electrics... The wood work would be extremely easy for him... Sometimes he seems tempted. He wanted to build a telecaster for himself... But he really loves acoustic instruments.
A couple of years ago I was talking to him about having a custom bass made. He was game. Unfortunately I had a few unplanned expenses and by the time I could have gone for it I realised it was all a bit extravagant and I didn't really need a custom bass. But I don't know... Maybe I should rethink that :P

Visit him at his workshop, he makes great coffee ;)

Next time you see him tell him Jose says hi :)

Edited by mcnach