Why become a member? ×

Plays like butter.

Maude

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1431609893' post='2773167']
It's moved beyond simile by dropping its reference to the original to the point that it makes no logical sense, but has a non-logical meaning that is widely accepted. This sort of thing is a right bugger to teach foreign students!
[/quote]

Happy to be corrected :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431610924' post='2773189']
Are you referring to Viz's showbiz correspondent Ms Fanny Batter? I think we should be told.
[size=4][/quote][/size]
You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment :P[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1431418897' post='2770979']
My pet hate is "minty", which seems to originate with [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Septic"]Septics[/url] that don't know why it's supposed to be "mint" and assume it's a contraction of "minty fresh".
[/quote]

Robinson: So, minty. Frank?

Muir: Minty. [i]Minty[/i]. It's a variant on the term 'mint condition', a description originally used by numismatists when describing coins of such exceptionally unblemished quality it might seem as if said metallic units of money had just left the mint wherein they assumed their delightfully circular and sometimes milled-edge form.

Not to be confused with 'minty butter', a confection oft found atop a bowl of steaming, delicious new potatoes. So: [i]minty[/i], a frequently hyperbolic term indicative of an item's contemporary proximity to its native state. [i]Minty.[/i]
[i].[/i]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1431608670' post='2773134']
....It is why older people feel alienated by the younger generation as they will also define themselves by adapting and adopting idioms to their own use.
[/quote]

I'm from the older generation and still playing bass - I don't feel alienated or defined. I must say I do prefer to play my bass with margarine though... or with Jam and cream or is it cream then jam. Its a county thing, I think... time for a nice cup of Horlicks.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1431610975' post='2773190']
Happy to be corrected :)
[/quote]

Sorry to come across as a picky old pedant, I just sort of lost it there and reverted to English lecturer mode addressing a group of Finnish translation studies students. I've had a lie down and feel better now :)