Why become a member? ×

Later..with Jools Tonight 16th may 2015

Very strong show IMO for a nice change!

Best by a country mile again IMO was Lianne La Havas? Never seen or heard her before but wow!
Followed closely by Father John Misty, huge star in the making there I think..
Followed by Hot Sardines, great musicians and tap dancer!

Poorest by far and sad to say was Paul Weller, really boring, terrible sound

oh well..

Lianne is an old friend of Later - she was on a few times when her last album was out (and that's how I first heard of her). First time I've seen her play bass though! Check this one out from a couple of years ago.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swN1sRpXjhY[/media]

Hot Sardines were great, didn't like John Misty though, my sincere beard-o-meter was in the red.

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1431775038' post='2774819']

Lianne La Havas seems to being groomed for the gap left by Corinne Bailey-Rae?
[/quote]

Agreed, and I think that's a shame - the stuff she was doing solo was excellent & quite unique - now with a full band it she sounds (and looks) very anodyne. But that's the business, I guess.

Jon.

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1431754042' post='2774592']
I don't like Paul any more, It makes me sad, does that. I have to say it out loud, accept it and move on.
I used to love his music.
[/quote]It makes me sad too. Now what makes me MAD is people who still worship every note he produces however bad! :angry2:

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1431779154' post='2774891']
Agreed, and I think that's a shame - the stuff she was doing solo was excellent & quite unique - now with a full band it she sounds (and looks) very anodyne. But that's the business, I guess.

Jon.
[/quote]
Yes, I have the first album and it was quite quirky, from the stuff I saw on Later she has been positioned much more mainstream now.

Edited by yorks5stringer

just watched it after reading this thread, we're all different aren't we? was completely underwhelmed by Lianne La Havas, Hot Sardines just a novelty act, would have been ok on Britain's Got Talent, thought Paul Weller was the best thing on there, (couldn't stand his Style Council era) so I guess they're catering for all tastes then

Edited by PaulWarning

Hadn't see Curtis Harding before, thought that was quite good. The only thing I thought was a bit strange was having CH and Weller on the same show, their music seemed quite similar which detracted from the eclectic nature of the show, in fact it made me think that Harding would make a very good support act for Weller on a tour.