Why become a member? ×

Drop the box

Bassistclem

In a seemingly suicidal attempt to loose business, dropbox has decided to stop supporting apple users who still operate older operating systems, or pre intel mac users as we're know.

Most musicians, video makers and photographers I deal with in the business still work on the older macs, we're not [b][i]all[/i][/b] rich you know, and many use dropbox for file sharing whilst collaborating on projects.

I'm not sure if this a subversive attempt by apple to make us all go and buy shiny new computers or is it just dropbox naively shooting themselves in the foot? There are other options after all...

Wondered how many of you out there have been recently excommunicated?

Also interested to see which service you trust spread your doings around the globe?

Clem

It's not really suicide because the alternative is iCloud which AFAIK isn't supported either.

It's a legacy system and developers have to make business descisions on how much they spend on supporting obselete systems.

You should be able to pick up a very cheap second hand machine.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1432020779' post='2777234']
It's not really suicide because the alternative is iCloud which AFAIK isn't supported either.

It's a legacy system and developers have to make business descisions on how much they spend on supporting obselete systems.

You should be able to pick up a very cheap second hand machine.
[/quote]
Cheers Tim, but it's a question of what is obsolete I suppose. My "old" G5 works perfectly well and don't feel the need to feed the big fat cats at Apple quite yet.

The point is that there are many in the same position, more than the lines of dropbox may have realised.

Edited by Bassistclem

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1432030808' post='2777351']

Cheers Tim, but it's a question of what is obsolete I suppose. My "old" G5 works perfectly well and don't feel the need to feed the big fat cats at Apple quite yet.

The point is that there are many in the same position, more than the lines of dropbox may have realised.
[/quote]

Something is obselete if the makers stop making it. That's the definition.

You don't have to feed the fat cats. There are plenty of people already doing that. Second hand is cheap as chips. Especially if you go for minimum spec that'll be better than what you're running at the moment.

The world moves on and improves. If you want your business to remain competitive you have to move on and improve as well.

Sure your Mac works fine and does what it says on the tin. BUT if it fails you won't be able to replace it like for like and you run the risk of not being able to do any work while you replace and upgrade. The better path is to upgrade now while you still have a working system in place and manage the switch over.

Old Macs are great, it's one of the Macintosh strengths that the older hardware still keeps going. But unless you run in a completely closed system you are bound to run into limitations eventually. It's 9 years since Apple last made a PPC machine. I don't think it is unreasonable for on-line services to stop supporting what in the computer world is ancient hardware.

As others have said you can pick up a second hand Intel Mac for very little money, and even the lowest spec model will out perform your current hardware without any question.

[quote name='Bassistclem' timestamp='1431990613' post='2777129']
In a seemingly suicidal attempt to loose business, dropbox has decided to stop supporting apple users who still operate older operating systems, or pre intel mac users as we're know.

...is it just dropbox naively shooting themselves in the foot? There are other options after all...
[/quote]

Suicidal? Shooting themselves in the foot? :blink:

I realise this is irritating for you but pre-Intel Macs are probably less than 0.5% of their clientbase. Even Apple have dropped support for hardware that old. There have been five major versions of OSX since then.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.5&qpcustomb=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems