Why become a member? ×

5 string advice

JamesBass

I'm finally thinking of adding a cheap, yet decent 5er to the stable, I'm after a versatile bass that does vintage and modern. I currently play a P with TI flats and love that smooth vibe, but at times I do need a bit of bite. So help me out wise old BC!

N.B. I've tried a stingray 5 before and liked it but never committed to it, and I'm quite thinking of getting a jazz bass anyway so are jazz 5ers good? I know, go try them, which is what I'm gonna do on Saturday!

Personally I've never tried a Jazz 5er that didn't have a god awful B string. I know some exist but I've never played one (tried Fender, Sadowsky etc).

Maybe buying a bass on here is worth a punt? Try it out in band situations with your own gear etc and If you don't like it sell it on for little/no loss.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1432675999' post='2783941']
Personally I've never tried a Jazz 5er that didn't have a god awful B string. I know some exist but I've never played one (tried Fender, Sadowsky etc).

Maybe buying a bass on here is worth a punt? Try it out in band situations with your own gear etc and If you don't like it sell it on for little/no loss.
[/quote]
The plan is to try in the shops, see what takes my fancy and wait for a great deal to come up on here, I can wait as my P does just about everything, but I think a nice 5er will open up some more stuff for me, especially in terms of chordal soloing stuff!

I have to say the Sadowsky I played was one of the 24fret models and played and sounded superb but the B string let it down. If I was intending to tune it E-C however it would have been the ideal Jazz for me really! Definitely worth giving as much basses a shot as you can.

I love the new Ibanez Prestige basses, super versatile and feel great. ACG are also excellent and super versatile.

I would watch out for one of the better Schecter Jazzers as they are amazingly cheap for highly specced bits of kit. They have very nice EMG's. Others are the Jap Bass collections or if your willing to stray a bit from the Jazz shape what about a Cort GB or Ibanez. They are all excellent bang for buck

Bite the bullet, Peavey are an inexpensive entry into the world of 5ivers

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261420-matching-set-of-peavey-5-strings-fretted-and-fretless/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by Oldman

Yamaha BB425?

I use it to play a wide variety of songs in my band from 70s disco and funk to whatever's in the charts at the moment.

That is until this weekend when I start using my BB1025 - still reasonably cheap as they come in around the £600 mark

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1432677763' post='2783953']
I love this place. A guy asks for a "cheap but decent" bass and we come up with Sadowsky and ACG :P
[/quote]

To be fair I never really mentioned Sadowsky as one to buy, merely that I liked the one I played a while back. ACG's occasionally come up for sale on here for the same price as US Fenders so not super expensive really. Plus when I read about the Stingray I was assuming around that value :)

Edited by Cameronj279

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1432676266' post='2783945']
I think a nice 5er will open up some more stuff for me, especially in terms of chordal soloing stuff!
[/quote]

Really?

Are you stringing E - C?

If you're looking for B - G (which I assumed you were) then I'm not sure how chordal or soloing is "opened up". It'll be the same top end as an E - G strung bass.

I play and recommend 5 string basses but they "open up" the lower and middle parts of the bass.

Of course there's always Squier active http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=07011213222329 or passive http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11071313165319 but as others have said Yammy or Peavey make fine basses that punch way above their price point. The Ibanez SR305 and SR375 are also solid, price conscious fivers with twin pickups, for that J vibe. Ultimately, playing a bunch side by side will make the decision for you. I don't know where the OP is intending to go shop-wise, but a trip up the A3 to Guitar Guitar in Epsom is currently well worth doing as they've got tons of stock in and available to play off the wall (Andertons in Guildford need to called ahead of time for any thing specific to be fetched from the warehouse, as I discovered recently).

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1432721781' post='2784216']
Of course there's always Squier active http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=07011213222329 or passive http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11071313165319 but as others have said Yammy or Peavey make fine basses that punch way above their price point. The Ibanez SR305 and SR375 are also solid, price conscious fivers with twin pickups, for that J vibe. Ultimately, playing a bunch side by side will make the decision for you. I don't know where the OP is intending to go shop-wise, but a trip up the A3 to Guitar Guitar in Epsom is currently well worth doing as they've got tons of stock in and available to play off the wall (Andertons in Guildford need to called ahead of time for any thing specific to be fetched from the warehouse, as I discovered recently).
[/quote]
I'm gigging in Brighton Saturday, and amp buying/trying in GAK, so I'll try some out there :)

One bass that comes to my mind is the Yamaha TRBII5. Made in Japan, has a thunderous and useful B string and it is one of the most versatile bass I have ever owned. A used on could be around 500GBP or such.
I also love my Spector, great growl on the low strings but it can not be much vintage... :-)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1432718753' post='2784157']
Really?

Are you stringing E - C?

If you're looking for B - G (which I assumed you were) then I'm not sure how chordal or soloing is "opened up". It'll be the same top end as an E - G strung bass.

I play and recommend 5 string basses but they "open up" the lower and middle parts of the bass.
[/quote]
Well I'm looking to go either way, It wouldn't take much to change around the strings at home for experimenting with chordal stuff.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1432724357' post='2784252']

I'm gigging in Brighton Saturday, and amp buying/trying in GAK, so I'll try some out there :)
[/quote]Same rule about phoning ahead for GAK too, I went down there once after seeing loads of Warwicks on their website, only to find a grand total of nil when I got there.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1432728519' post='2784303']
Well I'm looking to go either way, It wouldn't take much to change around the strings at home for experimenting with [b]chordal[/b] stuff.
[/quote]

Is that the stuff you use as a drinks mixer when you're at the pub?