Why become a member? ×

Sleeves made of sandpaper ...

How can anyone abuse a '65 Fender like that?
OK, so it's not the Mona Lisa, but no instrument deserves that. Not even a very bad Fender.

Question: Would it be cheaper if he'd not [s]wrecked[/s] improved it?

Edited by Grangur

Am I missing something here? I can see no mention of this having been deliberately reliced. It could just be a bass that's had 50 years of use and wear. Remember that when bought is '65 it was just a standard new Fender P bass, nothing special about it, and definitely not vintage.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1433694903' post='2793154']
Am I missing something here? I can see no mention of this having been deliberately reliced. It could just be a bass that's had 50 years of use and wear. Remember that when bought is '65 it was just a standard new Fender P bass, nothing special about it, and definitely not vintage.
[/quote]

Deliberately relic'd? Dunno.

But I've owned a lot of 50-year-old basses (I have seven just now) and I've never seen a wear pattern remotely like that!

Now re-listed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-Fender-Precision-Bass-Ultra-Rare-Lake-Placid-Blue-Hard-Case-Poss-p-x-Jazz-/181765052224?

If this is genuine, how come the bottom of the top horn has more wear than the chamfered part that's shaped for your arm to rest?

How come ALL the top edge is worn to the bare wood, but the bottom edge and the arm rest section is in almost pristine condition?

Going by selling rate here of some of the 1960's basses, this [s]is[/s] was worth about £1200 - 1400. He's trying to add some mojo and get a vast increase in the profit.... imho that is, of course.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1433749024' post='2793485']
Going by selling rate here of some of the 1960's basses, this [s]is[/s] was worth about £1200 - 1400. He's trying to add some mojo and get a vast increase in the profit.... imho that is, of course.
[/quote]

Not sure about those prices!

If this was in good nick and all-original, it would sell for around £5000.

Here's mine:
[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201966%20CURRENT/DSCF4287.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201966%20CURRENT/DSCF4287.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

If this was a refin but otherwise all-original, it would still go for at least £3000.

Rather than a recent attempt at the relic look, I reckon somebody started trying to strip it with a scraper and gave up because it was hard work, maybe some time in the 70s when stripping your 60s Fender was the fashionable thing to do. It's lucky that they didn't give it a badly routed J pickup and brass hardware while they were at it!

Edited by Beer of the Bass