Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sandberg California TT4, soft relic jazz

bassbiscuits

Went to Bass Direct for the first time today with my eye on a couple of jazz bass alikes, and ended up falling for a Sandberg TT4 - basically a soft reliced, cream/white passive jazz with a tort scratchplate.

It wasn't what I actually expected to buy, but felt lovely and easy to play, light as a feather swamp ash and - as I found when I got home and plugged it into my own amp - loud as hell!

I've always found myself drawn to passive basses, and this is no exception, but it's really articulate, bright and lively, spent most of the afternoon annoying my neighbours with it, and then realising how sunny it was outside, the rest of the afternoon noodling outside.

My band's next gig is this Saturday, so it'll be getting an outing. Got a feeling it's going to sound very different to my usual thumping P bass tone, but there's definitely room for a lively singing jazz tone in my life.

To be continued...

Now with pics added:

Edited by bassbiscuits

Yeah it's a nice looker ain't it?

I'm not a massive relic fan but in this case it suits the whole package.

Been playing it for two days solid and it's real comfy to play. Fingerboard is really quite flat tho I can't find specs on its exact radius.

Feels flatter and slightly wider than fender 9.5 radius tho, with a really smooth finish on the back of the neck that feels like it's been buffed to a very thin light varnish. Very easy on the hands.

Sound wise it's a lot livelier than my previous USA standard jazz - sort of springy and punchy but still with a fat, tight low end punch. Notes are very even all over the neck, and im not having to fight to make any heard.

I've got no idea what strings are on it from the factory, but again they sound great and give a very even, very playable sort of tension across the whole neck.

It is quite a different feel from my jazz, despite being similar at first glance, but very appealing, and extremely playable probably in part to the very low action and plek'd fretwork.

So far, so good then! Tomorrow's gig (with the loudest drummer known to mankind depping on it) should be interesting!

Please to report it performed brilliantly at last night's gig.

Very consistent and even note response across the whole neck, meaning I didn't have battle to make myself heard, which it turn made me play with a much softer, more relaxed touch.

Very happy.

• 1 month later...