Why become a member? ×

How to tell if it's a genuine MIA body

project_c

I'm doing a bit of investigative work on a p-bass, and I'm trying to establish if the body and pickups are genuine MIA. I've not taken a bass apart before so I'm putting some feelers out to see if anyone can give a bit of advice before I pull the neck off.

Are there any markings I should look for in the neck pocket on a genuine (not vintage) MIA? Any serial number locations? Any other body markings or stamps anywhere? How about pickups - any way of telling where they're from?

thanks!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1433533431' post='2792000']
Do you have an idea of the year it's from? Serial number will be on the front or back of the headstock or on the neckplate. Then we can look at other bits

steve
[/quote]

Hi Steve, the bass is mid-90's, neck serial checks out as legitimate, but - and it's a big BUT - the neck plate is blank. Which may mean nothing, but it may also mean someone put a legit neck on a Squier body. The body is string-through by the way. This is why I was asking if there's anything specific on the body that may give me clues - It's a nice light bass, it plays very well so I'm hoping it's fine, but the blank neck-plate bugs me.

you could take a pic of the neck pocket or under the scratchplate to show wiring pots etc, someone will put you straight. i had a 1998 precision which was through body stringing it had Fender corona on the neck plate.

String through is normally USA or Japanese. The neckplate would say Fender Corona I think for mid 90s. The neck pocket and the neck would have a inked stamp on them that should match. I've got one somewhere in the house, I'll go find it and check.

steve

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1433534818' post='2792018']
you could take a pic of the neck pocket or under the scratchplate to show wiring pots etc, someone will put you straight. i had a 1998 precision which was through body stringing it had Fender corona on the neck plate.
[/quote]

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1433536031' post='2792029']
Here's mine. Looks like I have a 96 neck and a 95 body. This is genuine as I bought it new.

steve
[/quote]

Thanks so much guys! Really useful. Steve - that headstock has the 50th anniversary decal on it, right? Or is that a sticker? My headstock doesn't have that, but it's a fretless from 95/96 (serial N55xxxx), so it should have the same decal on there too.

Neck looks spot on. It's only a little sticker and was for basses sold in 96. Yours might be earlier or someone's taken the sticker off. What's the neck end and pocket like?

Edited by Muppet

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1433536919' post='2792040']
Neck looks spot on. It's only a little sticker and was for basses sold in 96. Yours might be earlier or someone's taken the sticker off. What's the neck end and pocket like?
[/quote]

Ok, that's good to know. I'm going to pull the neck off in a minute - the fit is perfect, no gaps, so if someone faked this, they definitely found a good match for the neck.

Yeah yours and mine look pretty much the same and I know about mine so I'd bet my house yours is genuine American. Good news I'd say. Maybe you might want to pick up a Fender branded neckplate off eBay or something just to finish it if you wanted to.

steve

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1433539803' post='2792075']
Yeah yours and mine look pretty much the same and I know about mine so I'd bet my house yours is genuine American. Good news I'd say. Maybe you might want to pick up a Fender branded neckplate off eBay or something just to finish it if you wanted to.

steve
[/quote]

Really good news, definitely. It's a rare-ish Precision (lined fretless) that I picked up the other day so I was worried that it may have been a parts bass posing as the real deal. Not a hugely expensive bass but still advertised as a legit MIA, so I'm glad it's all good. Thanks for all your help with this, really appreciate it!