Why become a member? ×

Yam TRBX504 vs. J&B SB-2 vs. Lakland 44-01 comparison / recommendation?

wildfins

I PM Hamfist on this topic (as he used to own all of these) but would think that it's reasonable to post it on public forum to seek and share with other owners opinion as well:

I am a beginner and into pop, country rock, bachata... style (no hard rock or metal alike) and considering either a Yam TRBX504 or a [s]J&B[/s] G&L SB-2 or a Lakland 44-01 (all in the same price range). I am leaning toward the Yam TRBX504 for its active pickup, built quality and versatility based on what I read on various forums and youtube demos but I have also heard a lot of good stuffs about the other two basses as well as the Squier CV Jazz.

Would you mind enlighten me as to how these instruments compare/differ from each other and what would be your personal preference/recommendation - considering that I would probably only have this one bass for years to come?

Thanks,
Wild

Edited by wildfins

the Yamaha does not have active pickups; it has passive pickups and active EQ, which is, roughly, a similar setup to what the Lakland has. Not sure what J&B SB2 is; do you mean G&L by chance?

For that price ball-park, I would definitely go second hand. You can find a *proper* old Yamaha for that kind of money.

To mix it up more, if must be new, I'd recommend a Cort GB4 I think it's called now, it's been called GB94 before. I've had one and loved it, it's still in my avatar. Made in the same factory as that Lakland, also with Hipshot Ultralite tuners, better pickups (Seymour Duncan Basslines), better bridge (heavy chunk of brass with quick release slots) etc.

Sorry, I did actually mean G&L SB-2 as I was thinking about the G&L JB-2 in my head :)

Hamfist also gave me a very detailed and valuable feedback from his real life experience so I'd take the initiative to share with other newb who might be wondering the same questions...

"I assume you mean the G&L SB-2, which I would class as the least competent of these 3 basses. It's OK, but simply nothing special IMO. Tonally, it just felt weak to me. Who knows, I may have got a bad one as others speak highly of theirs (although these are mostly the USA ones, not the tributes). I felt that the basswood body and an overly flimsy neck affected the tone negatively.

The TRBX504 excels if you really like a twin humbucker bass with a slim, Jazz-type neck, and light weight. For me the active preamp (the pickups are not active, just the preamp, like the 44-01) in the Yamaha is nothing particularly special, although it's OK.
As a bass, I preferred the Lakland, though, although it is fairly heavy (whereas the Yamaha is really light). The Lakland has a slightly wider, chunkier neck, which you may prefer or not.It is still nothing like a Precision neck though.

I thought the neck pickups on the TRBX504 and the 44-01 were both glorious for dirty rock tones. The Yamaha becomes less competent the more of the bridge pickup you dial in. I just didn't get on with it's bridge pickup really at all.

The 44-01, I still really liked a lot of it's other tones than just the neck pickup one.

If someone offered me one of those basses I'd go for the 44-01, but the TRBX is a very competent bass and so much comes down to personal preference and taste."

Again, thanks everybody for your feedback... and I am now waiting for an opportunity to jump on an 44-01...
-Wild

Edited by wildfins

I cant really help with the basses asked about, but i do have a TRBX505, and have owned 2 Lakland 55-01 basses.

Personally id go for the Lakland every time.

As much as the TRBX is a lovely bass i dont think it is a versatile as the Lakland. To my ears its quite a bland tone, although in a nice way. Boring but fits in comes to mind.

There is a 44-01 for sale on here i believe.

Also worth looking at are the Sire basses. Better pre amp than either the Yamaha and Lakland, cheaper than either and the neck on my Sire V7 feels very close to how i remember my Laklands to feel.

Thanks Dave, based on your feedback, I took a look at the Marcus Miller Sire V7 basses and read a lot of favorable articles and reviews on these, very attractive basses especially at a such price tag. The MM Sire V7 come with either Alder ($400-$500) or Ash ($500-$600), would it worth to spend $100 more on the Ash? I can also get a new old stock Lakland 44-01 (w/ old case) for around $500 as well. As both are in the same price range and if I can only have one bass, which one would you recommend then?

Ok, just my opinion here.

The V7 and Lakland will sound very different. The V7 is a Jazz bass after all. I was never knocked out by the pups and preamp in my 55-01, although they were nice. Build quality will be the same IMO.
The pre amp in the V7 is much more versatile, and you can get a much wider range of tones. I also love that it will run without a battery, or a dead battery. IIR my Lakland couldn't. Not a big deal but its a feature that makes me feel safer on stage if the battery does go.

I cant really comment on what version of V7 you should get. I like the White/RW combo so went with that.