Why become a member? ×

Bass log books - a new level of geek?

Dom in Dorset

At a recent rehearsal my bass sounded crap! I later realized that the strings are dead "but I only replaced then a few months back...er I think it was a few, maybe a year?"
It occurred to me that if I kept a log for each of my main basses I'd know when they were strung and what with etc. I could make a note of any adjustments to action etc and for personal amusement what gigs I play on them. It will help me find out how long I can expect certain strings to last and hopefully avoid the" my bass suddenly sounds dead" situation.
It will also make me a massive nerd.

It WILL make you a massive nerd. And a pedant. :)

And given that most bass players can't keep original cases or ashtrays with their basses, or indeed even know what bloody day it is, it's hardly likely that a log book is going to get passed on to a new owner (for example). I can just imagine the ads... 'log book missing...' :D

So it's going to be for your information only, really... You carry on by all means, but when I get a new or different bass the first thing I do is put some new strings on it as a matter of course.

Edited by discreet

This is purely for me , I don't care what anyone else may do if I sold the bass.
You may put new strings on when you buy a bass but can you say with confidence when any of your basses were strung and what with?
Why wait for it to sound dead when if you know that brand X strings die after 6 months you can replace them at 5?
Calling it a string log may be more accurate.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

I have a spreadsheet of all my past and current basses with fields for manufacturer, colour, pickup type, body wood, number of strings, country of origin and what I did with it (plus many more).

I then like putting filters on the fields to see any trends. I tend to think not many people are as geeky (or tragic) as this.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1434275795' post='2798164']
You may put new strings on when you buy a bass but can you say with confidence when any of your basses were strung and what with?
Why wait for it to sound dead when if you know that brand X strings die after 6 months you can replace them at 5.
[/quote]

I've only got three basses so it's not hard. And two of them are strung with La Bella flats, so that's the next 20 years sorted, then. :D My one bass that is strung with rounds will be getting new strings about every six weeks as I'm experimenting with different rounds. In any case it's easier to figure out when rounds need changing, you just don't get that zing after a while, you can hear when that happens.

Sorry, I'm coming on like I'm down on the idea - I'm not, it's just not practical for me. :)

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1434275897' post='2798167']
I have a spreadsheet of all my past and current basses with fields for manufacturer, colour, pickup type, body wood, number of strings, country of origin and what I did with it (plus many more). I then like putting filters on the fields to see any trends. I tend to think not many people are as geeky (or tragic) as this.
[/quote]

Jesus Christ! You're right, that IS tragic... (your word, not mine!) I'm guessing you don't have kids..? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434276503' post='2798172']
I've only got three basses so it's not hard. And two of them are strung with La Bella flats, so that's the next 20 years sorted, then. :D My one bass that is strung with rounds will be getting new strings about every six weeks as I'm experimenting with different rounds. In any case it's easier to figure out when rounds need changing, you just don't get that zing after a while, you can hear when that happens.

Sorry, I'm coming on like I'm down on the idea - I'm not, it's just not practical for me. :)

Jesus Christ! You're right, that IS tragic... (your word, not mine!) I'm guessing you don't have kids..? ;)
[/quote]
No, not at all just trying to explain my reasons for doing this. :) Yes, you can hear when rounds die but I'd rather head it off than struggle through another rehearsal on dead strings because I hadn't seen it coming.
I use four basses, three have rounds and my fretless has black nylons so it won't require much record keeping.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

I well remember a member of this forum posting on the Musicman bass forum a copy of his extensive spreadsheet based bass log, which also included dates of battery change and other information - I was not the only member who gasped in amazement at the time.

However he had several basses. I have several also and can't remember for the life of me when I replaced each battery. I was also playing one if them a couple of weeks ago and thought - hmmm these strings sound nice and zingy - but I couldn't remember what make or when I installed the roundwounds concerned ...........

I fear I'm going to have to resort to the bass geek style spreadsheet - other than carrying a couple of batteries and a spare set of Ernie Ball Cobalt flatwounds in my lead box!!

Edited by drTStingray

I have a txt file on my music PC that records some info about my bases - their serial numbers, date of last string change, what strings, any major mods I've done, any big alteration in their set-ups, nothing exhaustive I don't think

I have an awful memory !

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1434278118' post='2798193']
I have a txt file on my music PC that records some info about my bases - their serial numbers, date of last string change, what strings, any major mods I've done, any big alteration in their set-ups, nothing exhaustive I don't think

I have an awful memory !
[/quote]
I was going to use pen and paper!

This idea of keeping notes so you know in advance that when strings will die can only lead to one thing, boredom. How will you ever know what dull strings sound like again if you never hear them as dull. Life has its ups and downs. It is part of what makes life so interesting. When you have a bad gig/practice with bad strings you then have the new strings to look forward to. Perfection is not perfect. Just concentrate on the playing.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1434278954' post='2798206']
This idea of keeping notes so you know in advance that when strings will die can only lead to one thing, boredom. How will you ever know what dull strings sound like again if you never hear them as dull. Life has its ups and downs. It is part of what makes life so interesting. When you have a bad gig/practice with bad strings you then have the new strings to look forward to. Perfection is not perfect. Just concentrate on the playing.
[/quote]
I know what dull strings sound like -dull! Why go through the bad gigs/practices at all? It will be like having a series of passionate affairs with beautiful women but with none of the awkward breakup stuff in between! Pudding after pudding even if you don't eat your meat!

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1434278954' post='2798206']
[/quote]

Okaaaaaay, it's just a list....with some dates on, I'm not trying to deny wabi sabi or anything ! :)

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1434279285' post='2798208']
It will be like having a series of passionate affairs with beautiful women but with none of the awkward breakup stuff in between!
[/quote]

The awkward breakup stuff is what makes affairs with beautiful women passionate!* Pudding after pudding gets boring...

[size=2]*At least that's what I remember from about 20 years ago.[/size]

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1434279623' post='2798212']
there is a certain irony in using a Venn diagram to demonstrate someones nerdiness! :)
[/quote]

Yes! but it would only have been [i]truly [/i]nerdy if I had produced it myself instead of copying it from the interweb. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434279721' post='2798215']
The awkward breakup stuff is what makes affairs with beautiful women passionate!* Pudding after pudding gets boring...

[size=2]*At least that's what I remember from about 20 years ago.[/size]
[/quote]
I just want passion and puddings!