Why become a member? ×

Bass log books - a new level of geek?

Dom in Dorset

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434279721' post='2798215']
The awkward breakup stuff is what makes affairs with beautiful women passionate!* Pudding after pudding gets boring...

[size=2]*At least that's what I remember from about 20 years ago.[/size]
[/quote]
Passion then pudding, passion then pudding etc I can cope.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1434278954' post='2798206']
This idea of keeping notes so you know in advance that when strings will die can only lead to one thing, boredom. How will you ever know what dull strings sound like again if you never hear them as dull. Life has its ups and downs. It is part of what makes life so interesting. When you have a bad gig/practice with bad strings you then have the new strings to look forward to. Perfection is not perfect. Just concentrate on the playing.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, but for one recent gig experience. I decided to crank out my Musicman Bongo 5HHp for this posh country pub bluesy/funky gig - can't remember why - thankfully we did a sound check because what started out in the initial noodle as a fantastic bass sound degenerated to a damp fart sound when the sound check started. And I had no spare batteries and we were a good 30 mins from the nearest purveyor of batteries.

Our singer came to my rescue - as a user of radio mikes he had what can only be described as the battery version of an ammunition magazine of sparkly new batteries available!!!! 30 seconds later and the bass was back in working order and ready to shake lady's nether regions with its seismic bass notes!!

I've noticed no one has mentioned batteries in this thread except me - has the population of Basschat altered over the last few months?? Or has everyone converted to double bass??

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434276503' post='2798172']
Jesus Christ! You're right, that IS tragic... (your word, not mine!) I'm guessing you don't have kids..? ;)
[/quote]

I have a 1 year old boy, but I work in IT.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1434290406' post='2798320']

I've noticed no one has mentioned batteries in this thread except me - has the population of Basschat altered over the last few months?? Or has everyone converted to double bass??
[/quote]

Everyone's playing Precisions these days :lol:

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1434295092' post='2798371']

Everyone's playing Precisions these days :lol:
[/quote]

Oh yeah, those old planks (basses - not people) - but hey, even some of those have batteries - I've even seen vintage 50s/60s ones played by famous Americans, sporting outboard fixed on pre amp units. However very few semi pros I encounter use Precisions - I'd agree they're wall to wall on the television in name acts. I've noticed a tendency for the bass players, along with the bass sound, to evaporate into the background - apparently a good idea to wear 'background matching' colours to complete the effect of the disappearing bass player.

There are notable exceptions - Bob Babbitt in the Funk Brothers band had a great upfront bass sound as I heard on one of their concert videos a few days back - now Motown was an outfit who knew how to use a bass guitar in music.

Edited by drTStingray