Why become a member? ×

help identify the Corvette I just bought...?

goonieman

Hi All,

I just bought a Bubinga Corvette. Owner will send later in the week and can't get home to send serial number - but these were the pics.

The weird thing is that it says 'proline' - but my understanding is that there was no bubinga proline. This is a standard, right? That's fine, because I only paid the price for a standard :)

It has the recessed straplocks and just-a-nut 1 - so what era are we talking? early 2000s? mid-90s?

Any experts out there?

I hope it works out. I really avoid buying 'sight unseen' - but sometimes it can't be helped :unsure: Scary.

Anyone experience with these? It looks like Wenge from the picture. Active pups (with weird knobs?!)

cheers

I think mid-90s. Seen some ash Prolines from that era, and my guess is that all Corvettes were called ProLine until some point, then ash and bubinga became Standard and the flamed maple body ones were introduced and inherited the ProLine nickname. But my understanding always was that the bubinga bodied Corvettes were also introduced around the same time, so this might be from some sort of a transition/overlap period; or maybe just the trussrod cover was swapped at some point? Either way, it is a bubinga Corvette. In recent years it became even more confusing, with Pro Series being made overseas while Standard was made in Germany (and the specs were the same), then I think this year they moved the Pro Series production back to Germany again.

I have a German made Bubinga Corvette Proline from 1995.
Recessed Strap-locks and the Just-A-Nut 1.

I have no idea about the electronics because it was my mates bass that got absolutely battered. When I got it it had a single volume control and sounded fairly pants.

I picked up a 2nd hand 3 band MEC preamp and fitted some stacked knobs so I didn't have to drill loads of holes. And it's now a bit of a beat of a bass. Weighs a ton too.

I also changed the knackered chrome hardware to new gold stuff.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1434458211' post='2799752']

I also changed the knackered chrome hardware to new gold stuff.
[/quote]

Great - reassuring to know they are 'out there'.

How does it sound? I'm a bit worried about bumps or warps in the neck. I've had a few basses in the past that have stung me when they arrived with weird sh!t that the owner 'never noticed' ... Do warwicks have a reputation for this? I know that in the 90s they had truss rod issues - there is a youtube vid about it.

My mate got it direct from Warwick so I know they are genuine instruments.

As I said, it sounded pants when I got it. But it had had a hard life:
Frets lifting
Dents and knocks in the neck (guitar headstock and cymbal clashes)
the body is cracked from the output jack across the control cavity
Just a cheap bodged volume control

I got it for £150 as a project bass, so it's been defretted, refretted again, passive, active...

It's currently in bits waiting for me to get some Tru-oil.

With the MEC preamp it sounds great, in either passive or active mode (active just sounds like a louder version of the passive sound).
But basically it sounds like a Jazz on steroids.