Why become a member? ×

G&L Tribute L2500 - Truss rod?

biro

Hello fellow Basschatters: once again, I am raising a first-world problem. Not so much, actually, because this could be quite crucial.

Since I am in a boring stage in my PhD, I am thinking about getting a G&L Tribute L2500. (Makes perfect sense, doesnt it?) They're quite the steal from our beloved German superstore, and since I am after a mildly traditional and versatile 5 stringer, it seems a good bet. I have tried this model several times and I know what I am getting tonewise.

However, I have read horrible stories about the truss rods on G&L necks. I have been perusing Talkbass for a while and found alarming reports of stripped nuts, broken rods and extremely expensive replacement necks. And yet, I like my necks very straight and adjustable: this is [i]the[/i] potential dealbreaker for me.

Now, I am wondering whether there's been a different luck on this side of the pond. Anyone?

As usual, many thanks in advance!

Well I've had 3 of them, (in an effort to get the colour I wanted), and haven't had a problem at all. I am a serial tinkerer, so can assure you the truss rods got tweaked quite a bit.
They are the "swiss army knife" of basses, made by Cort, ( as are Laklands, some Fenders, Ibanez etc.), and I did a comparison with a US one and couldn't tell any difference.
It isn't a problem that has cropped up here as far as I know.

Thank you ever so much!

Yes, to be honest I believe it would be a good deal for me as they have indeed quite a lot of tonal variety. Also, it's probably the closest thing (conceptually, albeit not necessarily sonically) to a Wal these days and at that price range. I just need to make sure I won't have to return it after three days of tinkering. :)

Very well. I expect my bank account to get lighter. I have enormous hands, and no problems whatsoever with chunky necks: necks that don't adjust, that I can't deal with.

As an aside: Neepheid, the name of your band is work of genius.