Why become a member? ×

Converted

landwomble

I feel a bit dirty.
Just played my first rehearsal with a P bass. Now, I play a Jazz usually, a nice 97 MIJ 75 reissue. I love it, have had it from new and it's never getting sold as I love it to bits - we've been through a lot together! I fitted a J Retro and a BadAss II and it's lovely.

Now, a month back I spent the princely sum of 25 quid on a new "deko" Harley Benton short scale P bass. I set it up, and because I like tinkering, I put in some Entwistle PBX pickups.
My lord. Eyes opened tonight. I'm converted. I get it. The P bass thump.

Jeebus. Going to need to buy a real one now I think...

Can't believe I've gone all these years thinking a P bass is a bit of a one trick pony. Maybe it is, but it's a GREAT trick...!

Ha , well done, P basses can do it all

I've loved p basses since I got back into playing for a number of years now , I just brought a jazz with a chuncky neck (can't stand the narrow ones) and I'm having the opposite experience

Now need a j retro

Welcome to the P bass side! I've been playi one for 20 years, more by chance than anything else as it's what I could afford.

But over the last few years I've broadened to trying jazzes and various other basses too. It's made me realise just how 'right' Precisions are.

They're not as versatile as jazz, or have the same clarity. But in terms of solid, low end thump and just sitting perfectly in any band setting, they're the best things there are.

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1435271992' post='2807267']
I feel a bit dirty.
Just played my first rehearsal with a P bass. Now, I play a Jazz usually, a nice 97 MIJ 75 reissue. I love it, have had it from new and it's never getting sold as I love it to bits - we've been through a lot together! I fitted a J Retro and a BadAss II and it's lovely.

Now, a month back I spent the princely sum of 25 quid on a new "deko" Harley Benton short scale P bass. I set it up, and because I like tinkering, I put in some Entwistle PBX pickups.
My lord. Eyes opened tonight. I'm converted. I get it. The P bass thump.

Jeebus. Going to need to buy a real one now I think...

Can't believe I've gone all these years thinking a P bass is a bit of a one trick pony. Maybe it is, but it's a GREAT trick...!
[/quote]

You are me a year or so ago :lol:. My avatar was a Stingray and I own three 75RI Jazz basses... today I tend to just use a Precision, or a PJ but heavily biased towards the P side of it.
:)

What a revelation, eh?