Why become a member? ×

Fender or Pretender? No.328

Hi there,

This is just another of those questions about if a Fender is real or fake.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161736328651?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice looking bass, but is it really likely to be a Fender if there's not serial number?

Cool one CW. Many thanks. Knowing Dood had it and talking about it then I'm sure it was good.

It sold for £450. This must, of course be considerably down to the previous ownership legacy, I don't wonder.

Edited by Grangur

Hi guys - just been alerted to this thread. it didn't sell the first time and has been readvertised. It'd be wrong for me to say anything about the auction though as I don't own the bass - but yes it used to be mine and I sold it when I was a teen some 25 odd years ago. It does seem to lack the things you'd expect from a real fender, but I didnt know that when I was rather young!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435334336' post='2807860']
Hi guys - just been alerted to this thread. it didn't sell the first time and has been readvertised. It'd be wrong for me to say anything about the auction though as I don't own the bass - but yes it used to be mine and I sold it when I was a teen some 25 odd years ago. It does seem to lack the things you'd expect from a real fender, but I didnt know that when I was rather young!
[/quote]

You tempted to buy it back? 7 mins to go.... :)

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1435335745' post='2807880']
So who got it?
[/quote]

Mmm, not one to speculate but.... The winner on both auctions this bass has been in ( by same seller) has 745 feedback, and user name is hidden as a***r

Coincidence, or sellers mate pushing it up? :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

I bid last second and was outbid higher than what I feel the value of the bass was. Interestingly the last bidder pulled out as he couldn't pay for it. (I'd chatted with the seller about it). I'm a bit cheesed off as I'd have liked it back for sentimental reasons but not because it was a 'fender'.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1435336734' post='2807896']

Coincidence, or sellers mate pushing it up? :)
[/quote]

Hmmmm, well, he did say that he wanted way more for the bass - i mean he'd said that it was valued by a bassist as £1500!! - no way Jose!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435339384' post='2807931']

Hmmmm, well, he did say that he wanted way more for the bass - i mean he'd said that it was valued by a bassist as £1500!! - no way Jose!
[/quote]

Hmmm.... you tempt me. Maybe I'll go round the BC market place and offer a few free valuations and see what happens.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435339384' post='2807931']

[/quote]

....gulp....

Might be time to hit him with the harsh realities of the worth. Send him links to Lozz's 78's at £1100 and perhaps some vintage RI's, throw in some bitsers, add that it's collection only and he should have a better informed evaluation!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1435339656' post='2807935']
....gulp....

Might be time to hit him with the harsh realities of the worth. Send him links to Lozz's 78's at £1100 and perhaps some vintage RI's, throw in some bitsers, add that it's collection only and he should have a better informed evaluation!
[/quote]

Well, when I first spotted it - and boy was I surprised to see it again, I did contact him. He asked lots of questions about the bass and I referred to my own notes and pictures from when I was a teen. (Yes I was a stickler for details even then!) I told him what the bass was worth and then offered more in an effort to secure it, but he wanted at least 700 when he realised 1500 was out of the question.

Edited by dood

but ya know, too late now - someone has grabbed themselves an interesting instrument for what they felt it was worth - and that's what eBay is all about. Hopefully it'll still be as nice as it was 25 years ago :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435339872' post='2807938']
Well, when I first spotted it - and boy was I surprised to see it again, I did contact him. He asked lots of questions about the bass and I referred to my own notes and pictures from when I was a teen. (Yes I was a stickler for details even then!) I told him what the bass was worth and then offered more in an effort to secure it, but he wanted at least 700 when he realised 1500 was out of the question.
[/quote]700 seems a touch steep if it is not a Fender but if it is guess 700 is fair enough? Maybe it will still get relisted?

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435340000' post='2807940']
but ya know, too late now - someone has grabbed themselves an interesting instrument for what they felt it was worth - and that's what eBay is all about. Hopefully it'll still be as nice as it was 25 years ago :)
[/quote]

But it hasn't sold if his mate has bid the value up twice.

From my PoV it's worth the £700 ( though maybe knocking off £50 after his failed second attempt) purely because it's sentimental. But I get what you mean about feeling what it's worth, entirely different thing that is!!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1435340169' post='2807943']
But it hasn't sold if his mate has bid the value up twice.

From my PoV it's worth the £700 ( though maybe knocking off £50 after his failed second attempt) purely because it's sentimental. But I get what you mean about feeling what it's worth, entirely different thing that is!!
[/quote]

Yes sorry, I was busy coming to terms with it.. heh! - It really isn't worth 700, even sentimental money. Really nice CIJ 62 reissues on here have failed to reach £450 and they are in great condition. This 'at a push' is an RI neck on an unknown body.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435340395' post='2807946']
Yes sorry, I was busy coming to terms with it.. heh! - It really isn't worth 700, even sentimental money. Really nice CIJ 62 reissues on here have failed to reach £450 and they are in great condition. This 'at a push' is an RI neck on an unknown body.
[/quote]In that case I think you did the sensible thing and stopped bidding so in reality it could just be a Pretender thats worth about 200 bangers tops?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1435340395' post='2807946']

[/quote]

Got ya. For some reason I thought it was a late 70's body and U.S. RI neck. Where do I get that? Oops!

Just looked again at the listing and plate serial, not that it means nowt, makes it late 60's early 70's. Hard one to establish, would need more pics to guess it.

Right you are, quite a can of unknown worms.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1435340550' post='2807950']
In that case I think you did the sensible thing and stopped bidding so in reality it could just be a Pretender thats worth about 200 bangers tops?
[/quote]

I'm far too sensible for my own good at times, but yes, I took the right choice and backed out.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1435341008' post='2807963']
And besides you would never play it as you probably have tons of sexy gear anyway lol
[/quote]

Well, I do love my toys and I think they're sexy! Not to everyones taste though I am sure! - but surprisingly I was looking for another 4 string to teach with! It just so happens that this one turned up coincidentally at the same time!

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1435341008' post='2807963']
And besides you would never play it as you probably have tons of sexy gear anyway lol
[/quote]

Still makes me wonder who bought though..

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1435412937' post='2808566']
True but I have a feeling it will be on ebay again in the near future?
[/quote]

Well, I'll keep an eye out! I'll ping a message in to the 'lost dogs' thread too.

• 7 months later...