Why become a member? ×

Kramer 8-string

I don't know how rare these actually are, but it's the first I've seen advertised. Not a clue if that's a sensible price, either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRAMER-Aluhals-8-String-Bass-SELTEN-inkl-MINOTAUR-Ledergurt-inkl-Case-VINTAGE-/221817924279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item33a560eab7

I bough this one a year ago off a BC member for £625. They are fairly rare now, I haven't seen one for sale for years.

You have to hear one to believe how awesome they are.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/20140910_131236_zps9986ec53.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by gelfin

I have a Kramer The Duke, so I have just the faintest inkling of what the sound is based on. (I recognise that bizarre through-bridge stringing arrangement, as well...) That's got to be a monster :)

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1436216833' post='2816166']
I bough this one a year ago off a BC member for £625. They are fairly rare now, I haven't seen one for sale for years.

[url="http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/20140910_131236_zps9986ec53.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Having had a little dabble with this very bass
I have to agree with Gelfin - the sound they produce is very different
However, I wasn't quite used to the feel of it
I think it'd take me a bit of getting used to

Re the OP
That does seem an excessive price
But if they're very rare nowadays, it's worth what someone is willing to pay......

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1436216833' post='2816166']

[/quote]

Does yours have individual saddles for each string in the pair? I've played two. One with a badass style bridge which had a single saddle for each pair of strings and as a result was unusable above the 7th fret due to intonation problems. The other had a Schaller bridge with individually adjustable saddles for every string, that one was perfectly in tune all the way up the neck. I love the sound of 8-string basses but unless you can intonate each string in the pair separately the tuning is too off for me to use.