Why become a member? ×

Glockenklang BAC vs Jule Monique (best preamp ?)

sifi2112

Glockenklang Bass Art Classic vs Jule Monique

I'm thinking of a new preamp and would like any opinions / thoughts etc before I even really think about saving for one of the above ... ideally I'd love to try one but other than buying the Glock new from Thomann on 30 day trial I don't think it'll happen .... Bassgear sell the Monique but not sure how long a trial I would get and its even more expensive ....

Also ... how important is the power amp ? Has anyone noticed much difference when switching between different amps ?

Guess I just need to get it out of my system ... lol

I would say the poweramp makes a huge difference, no point in spending that kind of money on a preamp and then just using any old poweramp. The whole chain Bass-Preamp-Poweramp-Cabs make up the tone and it's only as strong as the weakest point. You could play a £10k Alembic into a Monique preamp and plug that into a 5 watt practice amp and it'll sound crap...

I have no experience with the Monique unfortunately but they are very highly regarded, as well as being used by a couple of very discerning players here on BC who use a lot of other top end gear. I did once try a Glockenklang BAC head and it was fantastic, although I couldn't tell you how much of that came from the preamp and how much from the power section. My Blue Soul uses a different preamp section from the BAC but it is best described as "transparent" It has a clean power and basically just reproduces what you put in... If you like the sound of your bass you'll love Glockenklang gear. If I had someone to carry my gear I would have a BAC head and one of their 6x10s.

Edited by CamdenRob

If I were you I would also put the hellborg pre/poweramp in the for sale section here on the list.
The pre is essentially a copy/clone of a Neve channel strip into a amp with the output transformer.... I had the preamp and it was lovely but didn't have the amp to go with it.

The Glock is cleaner preamp, more hi-fi and very versatile. The Monique has a "more classic" tone, don't know for sure if it's inspired by the Fender tone stack but it has that vibe on it's sound, not as versatile as the Glock but what it does is better than anything else.

You should see if you can try it.

Poweramps do all the diference, the main thing i've noticed is that the low-end can be either compressed or enhanced (sometimes to boominess) by the poweramp alone. Crown does great poweramps that work great with bass, the class-H KMT i'm using is also a great option, can't talk about the new generation class-D with DSP because i haven't tried one yet.

Sorry, no experience with JM, but I'd like to chip in re. Glocks and power amps.

The Glockenklang is one of the best clean heads I've ever heard. It does do dirty, but it's more synthy than valve sounding to my ears so it depends on your perference (I loved it for certain applications)

I tried the Glock pre through a decent AB class power amp, and the tone suffered a bit.
The power amp is very important for tone. For clean, masses of headroom works best (either valve or SS) and for dirty, a lower wattage valve power amp is amazing.

Edited by Roland Rock

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1436506806' post='2818641']
Glockenklang Bass Art Classic vs Jule Monique

I'm thinking of a new preamp and would like any opinions / thoughts etc before I even really think about saving for one of the above ... ideally I'd love to try one but other than buying the Glock new from Thomann on 30 day trial I don't think it'll happen .... Bassgear sell the Monique but not sure how long a trial I would get and its even more expensive ....

Also ... how important is the power amp ? Has anyone noticed much difference when switching between different amps ?

Guess I just need to get it out of my system ... lol
[/quote]

Depends on the design of the preamp, some are designed to produce the "total" sound with the assumption you will use them with a fairly clean transparent power amp, this is especially true of the Jule which is actually a mini valve pre+power amp. PA amps such as QSC and Crown are very common in these sorts of modular rigs with high end preamps. A cleaner preamp might benefit from a more "musical" power amp though.

You could also look at the type of poweramp used by the manufactures for their heads with the same preamp section, for example I see the Jule is available with a 700 watt class D power amp.

Edited by bassman7755

The Glock and Monique are very different (but both superb) - if it's clean and uncoloured youre looking for, then have a look too at a Millennia TD-1. There's a valve path available with the Millennia but its a slightly pillowy, soft option rather than valve grit. The most 'accurate' pre I've used - very versatile but repays experimentation (or advanced knowledge)