Why become a member? ×

Finally found my fav strings

Twincam

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1436894861' post='2821836']
I probably should qualify that all my observations about overrall bass tone are strictly for my 'real world' situations. I play rock n pop covers in pub bands. If I can hear subtle differences in sound in isolation but they are not translated into a difference in sound when I'm playing in the band at gigging volume they are irrelevant to me. I'm only really interested in what the audience hears. This just doesn't apply to strings but changes in pick ups, amps, cabs etc. It's only when they make big enough differences to be noticeable in the 'real world' that they are of any consequence to me. I never practice at home using my gigging rig.
[/quote]

same here!

to be honest, a large part of what makes me like a string is the way they feel, the way they "bounce", as well as the actual sound, so for a pair of string types that sound the same to me, perhaps I still prefer one over the other based purely on feel. Feel is very important as it affects the way I play even if they sounded the same.
Some strings just don't have the "meatiness£ that others do.

This also means that I may prefer different strings for different basses depending on their setup and what sound I go for (different sounds for different bands...).

I agree that much of the audible differences are lost by the time you get the full band going in a bar environment, but the way they feel will affect the way I play, or the way I feel about playing, which affects the final result and my enjoyment of a gig, of course.

Yes I agree entirely, little point perservering with a string that you just don't feel comfortable with, you feel you are fighting the instrument before you start, same with some body shapes that just don't feel right to someone in the way they 'sit' into their body/arm positions. Find something you can get comfy with and [i]want [/i]to play, half the battle.

I`ve flitted continually over the years, but always end up back with Rotosound Steel Rounds. Just got a new Precision, factory fitted Fender nickel-plated steel roundwounds sound amazing at home, and at practice when playing on my own, feel great too, but once the band starts, well for what I do they are far too warm and nice sounding. Roto Rounds just have that aggression to them - even when they`re old they still work for me better than any others.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436910580' post='2822061']
I`ve flitted continually over the years, but always end up back with Rotosound Steel Rounds. Just got a new Precision, factory fitted Fender nickel-plated steel roundwounds sound amazing at home, and at practice when playing on my own, feel great too, but once the band starts, well for what I do they are far too warm and nice sounding. Roto Rounds just have that aggression to them - even when they`re old they still work for me better than any others.
[/quote]

But keep an eye on your frets though.

Flats on everything for me.

Picato's on the P bass for a lovely pillowy thump sat just undet the mix
Pyramid Golds on the Casady for big bastard thump but that very slighty brittleness that cuts through brilliantly

I love Roto's but only for about three weeks, new ones are just too much and after about a month they lose their bite, replacing strings every couple of months is too much for me. My favourites are the Dean Markley Blue Steels which give me the steel roundwound sound but keep it for the best part of a year, I've used these exclusively for about four years now, worth the extra because of how long they keep a bright sound. I've tried some Elixirs on one of my basses and they are good too, lasting well so far It'll be interesting to compare them as they age.

I can't understand the comments about strings making no difference, sometimes changing the strings is like getting a new bass.