Why become a member? ×

Messages and when they're read.

ambient

I posted something on a thread here a few weeks ago regarding the messaging, and it showing that they've been read, when they haven't. Quite a few jumped up and said I was wrong.

Well, I sent a message to someone yesterday, he read it today and replied. My reply to him was at 12.38, it says on the message 'read at 12.27'. So the 'message read at' must only be the initial reading, not the reply, bearing in mind my reply wasn't sent until 11 minutes later.

[attachment=196347:Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 14.35.22.png]

[attachment=196348:Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 14.35.31.png]

:)

Edited by ambient

I can't see the text "read at 12:27" on either screenshot. However that time does appear in the first one and seems to be the time the other participant "read" something that I assume means checked the conversation or read the latest message. Am I making sense?

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1436986809' post='2822624']
I can't see the text "read at 12:27" on either screenshot. However that time does appear in the first one and seems to be the time the other participant "read" something that I assume means checked the conversation or read the latest message. Am I making sense?
[/quote]

Yep, that was the time they read the initial message, and they replied to me. I replied to them at 12.38, but it still says read at 12.27, so it must just refer to the initial message.

It's the last time they read the message thread, regardless of replies I thought. So if you send a message at 10am, someone reads it at 11am & 1pm, the read time will be 1pm - regardless if they reply or not. So if you then send a message at 2pm, it would still say 1pm as last read :)