Why become a member? ×

New: Ernie Ball Cobalts - FLATWOUND

mcnach

Has anybody tried these yet?

I like stainless steel strings over nickel ones, and when they came out with their cobalt ones I gave them a try. I liked them a lot. After a week or so they lost the initial harsher zing, and they sound great. They're the ones I always use on my Stingray now.

I'm not a big fan of flats.
I enjoy them to a point, but in practice in my bands, roundwounds are what I want. I do like the feel of flats 'though.

The new flatwound cobalts are supposed to sound more like roundwounds, they're certainly rating quite high in their "brightness" scale compared to normal flats, similar to nickels and only less bright than stainless steel ones...

That looks interesting... I was wondering whether anybody has tried them yet.

I just ordered a set to try myself... could not wait for answers, but I'm still curious ;)

Tension in gauges 45-100 is a little higher than TIs and they feel a little tighter too but not by much. Smooth feel, I would say about the same as Sunbeams. Starts off with some roundwound zing but very quickly takes on flat characteristics. It's not a true flat sound but it has that sort of flatwound edge that a round would never have. Watch out for the installation instructions.

I tried out a Stingray at the LBGS that had these on and they were very nice. They really did have that roundwound zing, though of course, a Stingray does have a lot of toppiness to it (I did have all eqs set in the middle). I`ve been waiting on these for a bit, cos I like 3 to 4 week old rounds. If these strings have that sound, but can retain it for a good amount of time, well I`ll be very happy.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438251179' post='2832864']
I got that email this morning, too. ;) And I'm officially [s]bi-curious[/s] cobalt-curious. I'd be interested to know what you think of them.
[/quote]

THAT email... indeed, successful email. I resisted for about, erm... 30 seconds ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438266963' post='2833065']
Strings that feel like La Bellas but sound like month-old DR Fat Beams are the Holy Grail, IMHO.
[/quote]

Never been that keen on the feel of flats, but if these sound like month-old rounds and sound like that for a long time, I`ll adapt :)