Why become a member? ×

Time to end the farce of this streamer? Feel so angry......

zawinul

So apart from the neck being damaged I now find the battery connection is totally corroded, not sure how if effects the sound but not good, see pics below

This bass is going back, I've had it...this has broken my pathetic weak little back......

Can anyone please recommend a new fretless, active, slim neck, lined , ebony....

Cheers

Edited by zawinul

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1438376235' post='2834163']
Battery connector replacement is 99p and 10 min DIY job... neck is other issue!
[/quote]

i just don;t want it it sounds dead to me, its old and not been at all looked after and I was fleeced...

It hasn't put me off Warwick's, just don't want to have to resurrect one, not for the money I've laid out on it.

If neck can;t be restored i've bought a total dud.... no thanks

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1438377107' post='2834171']
i just don;t want it it sounds dead to me, its old and not been at all looked after and I was fleeced...

It hasn't put me off Warwick's, just don't want to have to resurrect one, not for the money I've laid out on it.

If neck can;t be restored i've bought a total dud.... no thanks
[/quote]

I think the lesson here is always view a pre-owned bass before you buy!

I know where you bought this from and the owner is certainly not out to 'fleece' anyone, I have an awful lot of respect for him. At the end of the day, it is a 25 year old bass, the neck's condition is fairly 'usual' for a Warwick of that period (I haven't owned one that hasn't had imperfection from the handmade era, and Iv had a dozen or so). I had an SSII where they put the 1st fret inlay in completely the wrong place, so seemed to fill with wenge dust and refit. Not a neat job but i just put it down as a quirk of the instruments. A battery connecter replacement as John said is pennies.

But, if you feel you have been misold, then take it back. However, if you have already taken £100 compensation for the neck, it is difficult to go back again now! Buyers remorse is not really something a shop should have to deal with, and you should really thoroughly inspect an instrument on arrival and go back to the shop with the issues all at the same time, and not as you discover them. There has to be a line :)

Edited by Kev

Regarding the neck, has a pro had a look yet? Its remarkable how personal feelings about a bass can influence everything about it. You have it in your head you have a 'dud' and you have been 'fleeced' and the bass sounds bad to you because your decision has already been made. You may find a pro or even another fretless player may find it is just fine. Before you cleaned it and saw the neck condition, how did you feel about it then?

Should the shop start being awkward with you over a full refund, it should be a fairly easy job to clean that gunk off the battery clip before you start worrying about having to get a new connector wired up - careful cleaning with an old toothbrush, matchsticks/toothpicks, cotton buds moistened with something like vinegar ought to sort it out - have a look at this http://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/Clean_Alkaline_Battery_Corrosion

For the money I'm spending I want something in better condition to begin with.

its difficuktt to explain but there is something 'wrong' with the sound of this thing. While it has huge sustain even with been strings just kind of die, which I put down to the neck

sure I could get it 'repaired' but what if itnstillt had this dead tone?

Im afraid you are wrong it's up to the shop to check the condition of the instrument especially as I am not able to see it and check it over.

Fleeced is a bit emotional I grant you. The shop have been excellent in their communication.

It's not buyers remorse. Id be happy to keep it if it sounded to and played as it should..

why don't you buy it off me and you can do all the repairs you sound like a real pro.....

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1438411844' post='2834280']
For the money I'm spending I want something in better condition to begin with.

its difficuktt to explain but there is something 'wrong' with the sound of this thing. While it has huge sustain even with been strings just kind of die, which I put down to the neck

sure I could get it 'repaired' but what if itnstillt had this dead tone?

Im afraid you are wrong it's up to the shop to check the condition of the instrument especially as I am not able to see it and check it over.

Fleeced is a bit emotional I grant you. The shop have been excellent in their communication.

It's not buyers remorse. Id be happy to keep it if it sounded to and played as it should..

why don't you buy it off me and you can do all the repairs you sound like a real pro.....
[/quote]

I wouldn't spend £1500 on such a bass in the first place :)

I'm just trying to help bud, but like I say if you have already accepted compensation for the neck, if I was the shop I personally would think your are taking the mick by coming back to me with a corroded battery clip and asking for a full refund.

Take it to a pro, and if they agree with you that something is fundamentally wrong with the bass, take it straight back.

I'm ignorant of the 'history' of this bass, the seller or the shop involved but what is the problem with the neck?

Is this an early 80's bass with a headstock break that was repaired in the past or is it a truss rod issue... or something else?

I have to say that I've owned a couple of NT Streamer fretless basses and none of them had the top end zing/mwah that you get from say a BO bass; a bit like the fact that you get a different slap tone from a NT/BO bass. I'm not saying 'W' fretless basses are naff or you can't get a good fretless sound from them but some folks have a particular 'tone' in their head when they play fretless and maybe you'll never achieve the zingy mwah you want from a Streamer!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1438420277' post='2834335']
I'm ignorant of the 'history' of this bass, the seller or the shop involved but what is the problem with the neck?

Is this an early 80's bass with a headstock break that was repaired in the past or is it a truss rod issue... or something else?

[/quote]

There is another thread somewhere which details issues that the owner has with the neck.

The ebony is a bit porous, there is a small knot visible, and there are some small gaps due to shrinkage where the ebony meets the fretlines.

Edit: found it http://basschat.co.uk/topic/266726-please-look-at-the-ebony-board-on-new-streamer-bass-damaged/

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1438420277' post='2834335']

I have to say that I've owned a couple of NT Streamer fretless basses and none of them had the top end zing/mwah that you get from say a BO bass; a bit like the fact that you get a different slap tone from a NT/BO bass. I'm not saying 'W' fretless basses are naff or you can't get a good fretless sound from them but some folks have a particular 'tone' in their head when they play fretless and maybe you'll never achieve the zingy mwah you want from a Streamer!
[/quote]

could be m certainly no zing at all, its just a 'dead; sound, though harmonics sound really good, the sound off the fretboard is terrible... sure I could get it repaired etc but just not going to keep it... I can get a full refund and look elsewhere, stress over

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1438423785' post='2834367']
There is another thread somewhere which details issues that the owner has with the neck.

The ebony is a bit porous, there is a small knot visible, and there are some small gaps due to shrinkage where the ebony meets the fretlines.

Edit: found it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/266726-please-look-at-the-ebony-board-on-new-streamer-bass-damaged/"]http://basschat.co.u...r-bass-damaged/[/url]
[/quote]

yes my thread, I was looking for advice.......... maybe it could be repaired but I'm not dropping £1500 on something that really isn't playable.

Pretty reasonable i think.

Next time I PLAY IT FIRST!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1438409605' post='2834272']
I can't see your photos, presumably of the battery compartment. PM me an email address and I'll put them up for you when I'm back.
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:197593]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:197593]