Why become a member? ×

Palmer cab merger. Clever.

spectoremg

A box just for putting them in serial like the OBBM one above makes more sense - to hook them up in parallel just use the built in thru-jacks on the cab, or multiple outputs on the amp. Unless of course neither your amp nor cab have these!

I would imagine that Palmer box uses auxiliary contacts on the jacks sockets to provide some switching. It's probably OK for a low wattage guitar amp but I'm not sure I'd want to put 500-watts of bass through those contacts. Also you couldn't do the same with Speakons as they have no extra switching contacts. You'd need a heavy duty switch..

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1438706425' post='2836583']
I would imagine that Palmer box uses auxiliary contacts on the jacks sockets to provide some switching. It's probably OK for a low wattage guitar amp but I'm not sure I'd want to put 500-watts of bass through those contacts. Also you couldn't do the same with Speakons as they have no extra switching contacts. You'd need a heavy duty switch..
[/quote]

They do make Speakons with switch contacts. They're not airtight though, which would be a pain on a cab back-plate but fine in an external box.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1438709159' post='2836613']
They do make Speakons with switch contacts. They're not airtight though, which would be a pain on a cab back-plate but fine in an external box.
[/quote]

Agreed but they are PCB mount which would mean a special PCB.