Why become a member? ×

Musicman Precision Bass

kevbass

This has been flagged up on here before, by me I believe

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHITE-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-MIJ-MUSICMAN-PICKUP_W0QQitemZ170255488421QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170255488421&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHITE-FENDER-PRECISI...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

Some people were a little unsure of the sort of sound it might put out because of the pup being away from the bridge a'la stingray style, but I think its a nice collectors piece, pretty rare if you ask me

[quote name='BassManKev' post='274755' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:24 PM']if thats a genuine musicman pickup, theres no way that was factory installed

if not, then interesting, but too expensive[/quote]

I think the fender factory made a limited run of about 25 of these, and if I remember correctly he's selling at the price he bought it at. I think given the rarity of it, imo, the price is reasonable.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='274814' date='Sep 1 2008, 06:08 PM']If you want your bass to sound like a Stingray....................

Buy a Stingray ![/quote]

I dunno, like Kevbass said it'd sound different from a ray because of the position of the pickup. Could be really fat.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon this could be a really nice bass. Can anyone confirm this is a true MIJ fender though? I have never seen anything like this before And never seen it on any Fender website/ Fender Japan. I am really interested in this and want to pull the trigger. But i need to know if its genuine!

Edited by Shockwave

Very unlikely to be a Musicman pickup, although Fender have previously produce a pickup of this design. But if you want an original CLF something of this design, why not just buy a G&L L1000 or L1000E - either loaded or not, both of which look a hell of a lot better than this.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='BassManKev' post='283392' date='Sep 13 2008, 10:25 PM']iv emailed him asking about it

if the reply is 'yes, its a genuine musicman pickup', then we know that this is certainly not a stock bass, and therefore a marker to stay clear.[/quote]
I have definitely seen one of these for sale on a Japanese webstore site within the past few months so it may not be as dodgy as you think. I'll try and find a link later as I'm currently in the pub :-)

no im sure it could be a perfectly legit bass if that pickup is made by fender, however if the pickup in that bass is made by musicman, it did not come out the factory like that, as ernie ball ONLY distribute their pickups and indeed all their hardware on new Musicman basses.

maybe if this was £250, it could be worth looking at, but for £500, no way, its not stock, the only basses to ever come out a factory with a musicman pickup are musicmen, its just a frankenp, and who's to say how good the mod was...

Edited by BassManKev

Why not just ask for a pic of the bass with the scratchplate off, it would be glaringly obvious if this was an aftermarket job. Saying that I doubt Fender would have tooled up the CNC machine to route for such a limited number basses, they may well have just taken a bunch of P basses and routed them by hand :)

Surely there must be a fender site somewhere that documents this bass if it is a ltd run!