Why become a member? ×

Brain fade?

anaxcrosswords

Don’t think I’m doing any dep work until December, but it’s been about 2 months since I last rehearsed or gigged so I thought it wise to pick up the set list and run through it.
Bear in mind this material is 5 years’ worth of pretty much weekly playing (plus rehearsals) I’m shocked at how much of it I struggle to remember.

Do I have accelerated brain fade or is it quite common to quickly forget your lines?

I can forget lines between run-throughs in one night so you're not alone!

First practice in a month with my main band (summer hols!) and it was just a few of the newer songs in the set I was struggling with but that's down to not playing them since the last gig. I tend not to beat myself up about it though.

Sometimes I feel as though my brain can only hold about 20 tunes at any one time. As soon as I learn a new song , one of the old ones seems to drop out of my head!!
The only consolation is that it's much quicker to refresh your memory for a previously learned song rather than learn one from scratch.

IME it also depends on the material.
For example, I could still play large parts of certain organ pieces that I last visited more than 30 years ago. I just ran through a few of them in my head to find out, and it confirmed this.
However, I would not at all be able to play any part of later band material, bands where I've predominantly played keyboards, plus a few gigs on bass.

This leads me to believe that higher complexity (also meaning more time spent learning it) is a pre in this.
Not science. Just my experience.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439816045' post='2845966']
I forget stuff until I get the chart out.
[/quote]

What's a chart? :blink:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1439816045' post='2845966']
Sometimes if you don't try and remember, just play, maybe along with a recording, then it'll just come back.
[/quote]

That's what I do. I can't be doing with bits of paper and so forth.

Not played anything from band's set since last gig on Aug 7th,they've just pulled a rehearsal out for tonight with no warning and I fully expect to be really dodgy on a lot of the set though I think we are going to work on some new stuff in which case we'll all be a bit flakey anyway.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1439665948' post='2844862']
I could still play large parts of certain organ pieces that I last visited more than 30 years ago.
[/quote]

I find a sentence containing the words 'large parts', 'organ' and 'thirty years ago' quite depressing. :(

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439839033' post='2846182']
I find a sentence containing the words 'large parts', 'organ' and 'thirty years ago' quite depressing. :(
[/quote]

...and that's after I rephrased before posting, specifically so as to make it slightly more demanding for you to comment - something you of course did with ease anyway. Kudos! :)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1439847780' post='2846277']
...and that's after I rephrased before posting, specifically so as to make it slightly more demanding for you to comment - something you of course did with ease anyway. Kudos! :)
[/quote]

Well thanks... I wouldn't want to disappoint. ;)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1439898509' post='2846545']
I was going to make another point, but I've forgotten what it was now. :blink:
[/quote]

Haha, that's typical of you, er, er... whatsyername... thingy. Sea-salt... Shellfish...

Edited by discreet