Why become a member? ×

GarageBand – no, not that one

anaxcrosswords

"GarageBand.com was a large online community of independent musicians and music fans. Founded in 1999, the site was used by musicians who were seeking greater exposure and critical insight provided by an audience of their peers. The site was also used by music fans to discover new independent artists in the site's vast collection. Some is Creative Commons-licensed music content, announced in 2004. Garageband closed its doors in June 2010, offering users migration to iLike"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GarageBand.com

My band of the time were on GarageBand from almost the very beginning which got us a lot a really good exposure and some record company interest which we blew by splitting up...

We did make it on the first (only?) GarageBand CD sampler and were voted best dance track for what that was worth.

I discovered a couple of interesting bands as a result of reviewing (and a lot of terrible stuff I never wanted to hear again).

Like most of these communities if you were on it and active at or near the beginning when it was still quite small and finding interesting music was relatively easy, it could be a useful promotional tool, but ultimately I couldn't help thinking that the audience was mostly members of the other bands on there rather than ordinary music fans - which are the people you need to be reaching if you want to increase your fan base.

By the time it closed, unless you already had a large number of fans who were prepared to review and hype up your tracks, anything that you uploaded simply got lost amongst the thousands of other songs on there.