Why become a member? ×

1973 Japanese 'Ideal' bass. Weird or wonderful?

I wonder if the description of it being a one-off custom job for a particular player may be an invention. I've seen Ideal as another brand applied to similar instruments and accessories to the ones which come labelled as Guyatone, Kent, etc., so I'd guess it's just another importers badge on a fairly standard Japanese instrument of that period.

Re the "Ideal" - it's the usual make-up-some-crap-because-no one-knows-any-different rubbish you see with so many old MIJs.

The bass is a re-badged Teisco, from probably around 1968 or '69 by the looks, "Ideal" will be some generic importer/catalogue brand, it looks in nice condition for its age, if everything works properly and it plays OK it should be good for about £200 tops.

In the Real World, that would be. :rolleyes:

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1440613314' post='2852455']
Re the "Ideal" - it's the usual make-up-some-crap-because-no one-knows-any-different rubbish you see with so many old MIJs.

The bass is a re-badged Teisco, from probably around 1968 or '69 by the looks, "Ideal" will be some generic importer/catalogue brand, it looks in nice condition for its age, if everything works properly and it plays OK it should be good for about £200 tops.

In the Real World, that would be. :rolleyes:

Jon.
[/quote]

I'm surprised that you value it as high as £200. NB: I'm not doubting you, just expressing my surprise that it's worth that much.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1440696801' post='2853102']
I'm surprised that you value it as high as £200. NB: I'm not doubting you, just expressing my surprise that it's worth that much.
[/quote]

On reflection that might be a bit optimistic. I tend to go on what I'd hope to get if I was selling in a 99p start auction, and it would probably need its original bridge cover & a Teisco logo to get anywhere near that.

After a second look, I suspect that in the flesh it's a bit more knocked-about than the pics suggest, too.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1440697455' post='2853111']
On reflection that might be a bit optimistic. I tend to go on what I'd hope to get if I was selling in a 99p start auction, and it would probably need its original bridge cover & a Teisco logo to get anywhere near that.

After a second look, I suspect that in the flesh it's a bit more knocked-about than the pics suggest, too.

J.
[/quote]

Jon - to go slightly OT for a bit. Do you know if the Teisco brand has been revived in Japan recently? There's been a few rather tasty looking instruments on the Ishibashi Ubox over the last 12 months with very reasonable prices and in AFAICS pretty good condition for something made in the 60s. Any ideas?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1440704043' post='2853182']
Jon - to go slightly OT for a bit. Do you know if the Teisco brand has been revived in Japan recently? There's been a few rather tasty looking instruments on the Ishibashi Ubox over the last 12 months with very reasonable prices and in AFAICS pretty good condition for something made in the 60s. Any ideas?
[/quote]

Yes, don't know a lot about them but there have been reissued Teisco "classics" (Del Rey, Spectrum etc) around for a few years now. I'd guess Japanese market-exclusive, hence them turning up on Ishibashi.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1440720185' post='2853360']
Yes, don't know a lot about them but there have been reissued Teisco "classics" (Del Rey, Spectrum etc) around for a few years now. I'd guess Japanese market-exclusive, hence them turning up on Ishibashi.

J.
[/quote]

Thanks Jon. So I'm not looking at bargain vintage instruments then. They do look pretty authentic though. I do fancy a Spectrum...