Why become a member? ×

Power supply running hot

steviedee

Got one of these Yankee PS M12 power supplies, http://yankee.com.pl/?p=10 . Currently running an ebs microbass, dark vintage microtubes, TLC comp, wireless and a B3 from the 9v section. a moog minitaur from the 12v section and a KMI 12 step from usb. All seems within the capabilities of the power supply but it's really f***ing hot!

I left for a few hours when I nipped out the shops and got back had a wee shot of my bass then the f***er died on me. I could fried an egg on it. It came back on but not exactly filling me with confidence. Am I just pushing it to hard or is there some other reason?

If it's running hot that suggests to me that you could be close to or exceeding the maximum current draw that the PS-M12 is capable of. Have a look at what each pedal/device needs in amps; it won't be the voltage that's the issue here but how much current each device is trying to pull from the adapter. From the website here are the specs:

"[b]Yankee PS-M12[/b] is a unit that gives a combination of 7 DC and 2 AC outputs – split into 3 separate sections. The first section has 5 x 9V DC outputs with maximum voltage of 900 mA. The second section has 2 outputs. Each of them can be manually set. First output : 6V, 12V DC, 18V DC or 24V DC and second output: 9V, 12V, 15V or 18V. Max. current for this section is 600 mA. The third section is made of 2 AC outputs: 1 x 9V AC and 1 x 12V AC.. Only one output can be used at a time. The section outputs 1200 mA."

Cheers Howie I think I am close to the edge power wise, the minitaur draws. About 500 ma I have a voltage doubler and a reverse polarity cable on the 2nd section. The B3 and the wireless are probably the most power hungry on the 1st section. I have the minitaur off now just checking the heat.