Why become a member? ×

Change Amp to reduce pedal board size?

LewisK1975

Anybody else done this?

Thinking about changing my Tecamp PUMA for something like the TC RH750 so I can lose my tuner pedal, compressor pedal and possibly others too, I use a sansamp para driver at the end of the board for tone shaping and a bit of grit.

My PUMA is set totally flat, so only really functioning as a power amp and DI - I've heard the RH750 has a more 'rock n roll' tone signature anyway and it also has the 'tube tone' feature so could possibly fill the gap left by the sansamp..

Makes sense - the RH750 is a nice amp, and easily capable of doing all you`re after. Jennie Innie posted a clip of her sound on here - think she called it shock and awe - and it was great. If a search doesn`t find it maybe message her, see if she can help out on tracking it down.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1441978686' post='2863485']
Makes sense - the RH750 is a nice amp, and easily capable of doing all you`re after. Jennie Innie posted a clip of her sound on here - think she called it shock and awe - and it was great. If a search doesn`t find it maybe message her, see if she can help out on tracking it down.
[/quote]

Cheers I'll have a lookie!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441979080' post='2863489']
The only thing I can thing of is that the compressor might not be in the right place in the signal chain for you if it is in the amp.
[/quote]

I hadn't considered that to be honest so thanks! at the moment it's last but one before the sansamp - should see if I can find a block layout of the RH750 and see how it differs...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1441978686' post='2863485']
[/quote]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254538-barefaced-retro-two10-shock-and-awe-bass-sound

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441979080' post='2863489']
The only thing I can thing of is that the compressor might not be in the right place in the signal chain for you if it is in the amp.
[/quote]

I presume the OP would not use a drive pedal like the sans amp when using the RH, really there would little point as their both doing essentially the same job (and both do it very well indeed). Any other effects he still uses could go in the RH effects loop which would put them after the compressor. The RH compressor is a really good one too being multiband its more transparent like a mastering compressor.

Edited by bassman7755

Thanks for taking the time to reply gents. All food for thought! Also gotta find an RH750 to try out too. There is a s/h one in Bass direct, but it looks like their only selling the complete rig of amp+2 cabs at the moment, maybe i'll drop 'em a line and see if they'll consider splitting the rig..

Bassman7755 is correct I'd be looking to drop at least the Sansamp, Tu-3, and MXR comp. I'd still need some kind of board though, coz I have the billy sheehan EBS pedal which I do really like..hmmmm

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1442238202' post='2865366']
Thanks for taking the time to reply gents. All food for thought! Also gotta find an RH750 to try out too. There is a s/h one in Bass direct, but it looks like their only selling the complete rig of amp+2 cabs at the moment, maybe i'll drop 'em a line and see if they'll consider splitting the rig..

Bassman7755 is correct I'd be looking to drop at least the Sansamp, Tu-3, and MXR comp. I'd still need some kind of board though, coz I have the billy sheehan EBS pedal which I do really like..hmmmm
[/quote]

There was one on the Facebook Bass Players market yesterday.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442317314' post='2865967']
There was one on the Facebook Bass Players market yesterday.
[/quote]

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1442318022' post='2865979']
This one, not mine, logistics to be worked out between you and seller.
You may need to scroll down quite a bit, it moves fast on that page
[url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/689090051102626/"]https://www.facebook...89090051102626/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Chaps - I'll cast by beady eye!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1442320452' post='2865999']
A Zoom MS-60B could do tuner and compressor duty...

Have you tried the "Taste" control on the Puma?
[/quote]

I have found the taste control quite useful as a quick way of taking out room 'boom' - without the sansamp though, it didn't get me anywhere near where I wanted to be....

I'm finding the PUMA's eq generally much more suited to eq'ing for the room rather than sound shaping.

I don't know guys - I think after years of using trace and then ashdown stuff - neutral / flat sounds just don't do it for me - therefore feeding my Barefaced super compacts with a PUMA was never really going to work for me was it :rolleyes:.

Might even be better off sticking with my pedal board, DI'ing to the Desk from the Sansamp and using in ears!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1442414669' post='2866801']
I must try the RH750 again.

I had one and didn't get on with it, but I've liked every demo I've heard.

So I'm guessing it didn't get on well with the cabs I had at the time - I had a pair of Mark Bass Club 121 cabs.[/quote]

What I've noticed about both the RH450 and RH750 is that they have a very distinctive feel - there's quite a lot of compression and stuff going on in there. For me they didn't respond to my hands the way I wanted them to - it sounded more like a recording of me than me playing live. However some bassists really like what they do so it's definitely a personal preference thing.

I'm a bit of a compression junkie so that appealed to me before I owned one.

I'd be interested to try one with my Bergs. I play a lot with a local educational music trust band / orchestra and there just isn't room for pedal boards. I like clip on tuners but when 20 odd instruments are tuning up the vibrations in the room ruin the efficiency.

I love the idea of having a tuner, compression and a bit of warm drive in the head. I'll have to borrow one to give it a try.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1442414462' post='2866797']
I don't know guys - I think after years of using trace and then ashdown stuff - neutral / flat sounds just don't do it for me - therefore feeding my Barefaced super compacts with a PUMA was never really going to work for me was it :rolleyes:.
[/quote]

Well you need to think of the puma/compact combo as a blank canvas which is capable of pretty much anything when given the right input. You could consider keeping that rig and fronting it with a really good multi-effects unit like the zoom B3 (this is kind of the direction I'm thinking of going myself), that would still keep setup complexity reasonably low.

I would consider two things:

- how do I send my signal to the FOH mixing desk?
- do I need to carry a pedal board AND and a specific to get my sound or is everything I need on a board?

Do you want to include drive and/or compression with your DI Signal, you'd have to go POST EQ, which may limit your stage EQ options in order not to mess with the DI Signal

I always send my signal pre eq (even pre amp) to the desk. My whole processing is done on my board, mainly with an RMI Basswitch an a Tech21 VTBass. So I can use any (provided) backline amp to adress stage acoustics issues without bothering about the DI signal

In case the monitoring is good, use no amp at all.

Edited by gillento