Why become a member? ×

Wow

bassace

As in wow and flutter. The music on my telly has been going up and down in pitch recently. Mainly repeats on the minor channels but today the link and trailer music on BBC Breakfast has been a bit painful. I always understood that it was down to unstable turntables and tape machines but didn't happen in the digital age. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

I can't offer a solution or explanation, but it's not unique...Mrs Rushbo has a DAB radio in her car and when we pass through an area of poor reception, the signal seems to slow down and then return to pitch after a few seconds. Very odd.

Can't offer an explanation either, but I've long wondered about a similar thing when playing music on my Android phone using Bluetooth headphones.

Have no idea whether it's
- a technical issue (I can imagine several possible causes, like the lack of a synch clock in hardware that has too little processing power for the data stream at hand when it's preoccupied with other OS jobs for example),
- a psychoacoustical issue (cahnges in frequency response or dynamics incl. compression being heard as pitch change) or even
- a psychological issue (I'm nuts and distrust my cheap headphones),
but it's detracting from the joy of listening.