Why become a member? ×

Nanyo Bass Collection electrics upgrade

Pinball

Where do I start?

Well the bass is fretless and can be seen here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269161-nanyo-bass-collections-are-annoyingly-good/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

It's a bit of an unknown but it is active and the serial number indicated its a 1991 bass. maybe a 320 or 461. I love playing it but am not so keen on the bridge pickup. It complements the neck pup but is very quiet and thin. The neck pup is much better but could be better defined.

My current thinking is either:

1. change the pre-amp and bridge pup or

2, Ditch the preamp and go passive, probably with Entwistle pups

or I could just forget it and just enjoy playing it-especially as I'm broke-at least until I sell something else.

Any advice?

Edited by Pinball

Those look like the original SGC pickups in both basses. I've owned half a dozen of these over the years and none of them has ever sounded "thin" or ill-defined. These basses usually sound really lush.

Before you start swopping stuff out, you might want to have the existing pups and wiring checked out.

As mentioned in your other post, I've got 3 x 5 strings and none have weak pickups in any way. All have original SGC pickups. Strangely enough I DID think my first one had a weak pickup, but realised that the blend control is not where I expected it to be, ie: it's below the Vol and not next to it. Soon as I realised I was rotating the Bass control, not blend, all was good.
That said this particular one now sports a Bartolini pre-amp that I had kicking around.

Thanks, I did borrow one that had a Bart pre-amp and it was gorgeous. Maybe that is the answer :)

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1442216106' post='2865116']
I had an MIJ SB320 that I put a Kiogon loom into.
Just a simple Volume, Volume, Tone, Tone set up.
Transformed the instrument into an even better bit of kit.
Would recommend something along those lines.
[/quote]

or this

Edited by Pinball

Not sure what my model is offhand, but it's a pretty top end model with zebrano top. As per the previous poster I've fitted an Artec pre, volume, blend bass and treble, and it's absolutely transformed the bass. I'm about to put a glockenclang in, purely for the passive bypass, but the Artec will deffo be goi g into something else. A cheap and easy fix!

You've heard the KiOgon wiring loom in my Squier jazz and I can recommend them. Solderless too so no faffing around burning your bass to the ground :)

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1442263899' post='2865669']
Not sure what my model is offhand, but it's a pretty top end model with zebrano top.
[/quote]

Oooh pic please!!! I recall seeing one ages ago and they look lovely.