Why become a member? ×

Agencies

Kevin Dean

We have an agent, early days though, so not able to say if it will be worthwhile.

Our one insisted on a high quality demo, not so much for them to tell if we were any good (they had already seen/heard us in action)
but to put on their website for potential punters to have a listen. A recording made with an I Phone held in front of the p.a. down at the local pub gig would probably not impress. :D

An agency for what..??

I'd only consider one if they could get gigs that I couldn't.... as why am I paying them 10-20% otherwise?

Local pubs agents want 10% and they want it from every gig you do...??? maybe that works for those bands
but I don't see them doing gigs that aren't open to other bands so I don't quite get what the deal is.
Maybe the band are lazy about gigs and promo..???

I'm disenchanted with them, to say the least. We're registered with three local agencies who almost never get us gigs - the ones that they do are emergency last-minute ones. It's not as if we're crap either, or don't appeal to the audiences in the places we play. Sadly, those agencies lock out a lot of pubs so there's at least 25 pubs we can't get into because they're with one of the useless agencies.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1442778131' post='2869439']
I'm disenchanted with them, to say the least. We're registered with three local agencies who almost never get us gigs - the ones that they do are emergency last-minute ones. It's not as if we're crap either, or don't appeal to the audiences in the places we play. Sadly, those agencies lock out a lot of pubs so there's at least 25 pubs we can't get into because they're with one of the useless agencies.
[/quote]
This is my experience also :(

Agencies in pubs around here don't generally work.. Good bands don't need them for pub work as that work will find them
plus the 10/15% or whatever it is, should go to the band.

The only places that uses agencies is LL's that don't know what they are doing and the end up paying £350 inc the agent fee
and don't make any money on the night...so the gig never lasts anyway.

If a new LL/Venue wants to put on music..and they mostly all consider it, then they are going to have to do some research
just like any other business idea.

If you are talking about an agent that gets you into London hotels or introduces you to a very good events manager, then they'll likely
be worth paying... but they need to up your fee by A LOT.

For example, if you get £1000 regularly, then an agent is going to have to almost double your price...as they'll want £250-300 and
you'll want £1500 plus to mess around in London, IME.

Would never use an agent for pub work. If you're a decent band you'll get plenty of work without one as long as you go about it right (good demo vids, fb page, website etc).
We use an agent for function work and rarely play pubs unless we feel like playing for fun. We get a good few bookings at a good price from it and also some short notice stuff. Again, good demo videos, a slick website and the likes goes a long way but nothing beats being a decent band.

Edited by mrtcat