Why become a member? ×

Is Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO III louder than Fender Rumble 100 ?

chazp

Hi

I am thinking of buying the Ashdown 15" combo above but I noticed it is quite small compared to my current amp.
Which is nice, however I am not sure how that translates soundwise...

The Fender is just about loud enough for the gigs that I am doing and I do not want to spend cash and end up with a nicer but quieter amp.

I wonder if any players with gigging experience can compare the two amps in a live gig setting?

(we know that mag reviews saying things like 'earth-moving thunder' mean not a lot really :)

Thanks !

Well in theory, the Ashdown will be putting about 180 watts into the 8ohms internal speaker, so it should be louder than the Rumble. But they have different amp sections so I couldnt say for certain the Ashdown would be louder.

I havent played the Fender but have used a Mag 300 head for 10 years, a lot of the time through a 15 inch speaker and it has been loud enough for me when doing large pubs, playing rock music.

Also, if you add an extension speaker, say a 2x10, then the Mag will give you the full 300 watts. I run my Mag into 2, 1x12 Mi cabs and there is plenty of volume.

Edited by jezzaboy

But do remember, watts translate to heat, not volume. SPL & decibels are the only things that most manufacturers will give info on that relates to actual volume.

They're too obsessed with how many watts it "has".

If you like the sound of the Fender, see if they do a 15" cab to go with it. More of the same. :)

Edited by xgsjx

It might be worth considering this Ashdown for sale on here right now:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/269486-ashdown-mibass-20-amp-500-watt/

For the price the seller is asking its a cracker of an amp. I use one myself with a 112 cab and it holds its own against a very 'enthusiastic' metal drummer and two guitar players armed with great big 100-watt valve heads into 4x10 cabs.

The bonus with this one being that it weighs pretty much nothing - I carry mine in a bag along with pedals/cables/etc. making getting into and out of practice/gigs a dream.