Why become a member? ×

JBL PRX625 P.A speaker problem

LewisK1975

Hey all,

Bit of a longshot here!

My band has a nice PA consisting of mackie1801 subs and JBL PRX625 tops (these have two 15's and a horn).

We noticed that one of the PRX625's had a lower output than the other and upon a little further investigation found that one of the 15in speakers wasn't working.

We still need to get to the bottom of it having not done anything at all just yet (it's still 1000watt with just the other 15 and the horn running)

Done a little bit of internet trawling and found that the speakers in it (265f-1) are 2ohms, difficult if not actually impossible to get in the UK (unless you buy a whole new PRX625) and if got from the US will be around £300 shipped!

If does turn out to be just the speaker that needs replacing do you think there'd be any harm sticking a 4ohm non-jbl replacement in??

Have you definitely isolated it to the speaker? These JBLs have three poweramps, one for each 15 and one for the HF driver. Are you sure that it's not an amp that is playing up? It may be as simple as a HT fuse... (Not that I know the internals of these cabs that well, it's just that I remember the three amps when I was looking at these cabs with view to purchase)

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443024465' post='2871597']
Have you definitely isolated it to the speaker? These JBLs have three poweramps, one for each 15 and one for the HF driver. Are you sure that it's not an amp that is playing up? It may be as simple as a HT fuse... (Not that I know the internals of these cabs that well, it's just that I remember the three amps when I was looking at these cabs with view to purchase)
[/quote]

No we haven't actually done anything yet! It's the plan to open it up and swap the speaker wires for the 15's over and see what happens - just trying to plan ahead if you know what I mean...

http://www.pro-technical.co.uk/shop.php/cPath/689_1044_1212_1201/PRX_525

Crazy thing is, it may be cheaper to source it from the states going by this.

Check the board before you do anything though and drop JBL/Wembley a line about yout recone options.

I hate to say it but there is an inherent problem with the power amps on these speakers - check the various DJ boards where there are plenty who moan about it.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443029724' post='2871686']
[url="http://www.pro-technical.co.uk/shop.php/cPath/689_1044_1212_1201/PRX_525"]http://www.pro-techn...12_1201/PRX_525[/url]

Crazy thing is, it may be cheaper to source it from the states going by this.

Check the board before you do anything though and drop JBL/Wembley a line about yout recone options.

I hate to say it but there is an inherent problem with the power amps on these speakers - check the various DJ boards where there are plenty who moan about it.
[/quote]

What a crazy world we live in where it's cheaper to get something shipped from 1000's of mile away than buying in at home. <_<

Yeah I had seen some of those complaints while searching about it. Although most of them seem to be total failures / complete cutting out etc - ours seems a bit different in that we just have one speaker out. The other 15 and the horn are running fine.

Edited by LewisK1975

• 5 weeks later...